This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate if you purchase through those links I earn a small commission. Thank you!
This Oven Baked Barbecue Chicken is one of my favorite easy go-to dinners. I know “oven-baked” and “barbecue” don’t really go together if you’re a pitmaster, but luckily no one else really minds oven barbecue chicken!
Oven Barbecue Chicken
It starts with boneless skinless chicken thighs which get a sweet and tangy spice rub. Then they’re baked up juicy in the oven and topped with a favorite barbecue sauce and lightly baked until the sauce is just set. This is an oven barbecue chicken recipe you don’t want to miss!
What kind of chicken is best for Baked barbecue chicken?
You can choose ANY cut of chicken you and your family like. Here are my thoughts on the different cuts and preparations of chicken:
- Boneless Skinless Thighs are small enough to cook quickly get not get tough from over cooking
- Boneless Skinless Breasts can turn out dry when baked it’s something to be aware when you’re paying that much for chicken. You can cut them in strips if you want them to cook quicker.
- Bone-In Chicken Breasts are a large cut of meat and will require a much longer cooking time. That extended cooking time can dry out the meat
- Bone-In Thighs with skin will also require a longer cooking time. They remain juicy when baked for a longer time and will work fine. Just cook until a thermometor reads 165˚.
- Drumsticks will work just fine, cook them for about 25-30 minutes.
- Chicken Tenderloins will work just fine as well. They cook up quickly so be ready to sauce them soon after you begin baking them.
What kind of sauce do I use for Oven Barbecue Chicken Thighs?
The best part of this recipe is that will you use my rub for the chicken spice rub, you use ANY kind of barbecue sauce you like on the chicken. I used Sweet Baby Ray’s Barbecue Sauce.
What Spices are in the spice rub for Baked Barbecue Chicken?
This is similar to the spice rub I use for the Air Fryer Barbecue Pork Chops, except I switched the paprika to smoked paprika for a smokier flavor.
- brown sugar
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- smoked paprika
- chili powder
What to serve with this Oven-Baked Barbecue Chicken?
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (roughly 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 TBSP oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tps cinnamon
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- preheat oven to 400˚
- line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil
- pat chicken dry and place in a mixing bowl
- toss with the oil
- mix the spice blend together rub it into the chicken pieces
- place on prepared baking sheet
- bake in the preheated oven 20-25 minutes or until the chicken hits 160˚ on a meat thermometer
- pull the chicken out, brush with barbecue sauce
- bake for 5 more minutes or until the thermometer says 165˚
- serve hot
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 513Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 21gCholesterol 273mgSodium 856mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 1gSugar 11gProtein 55g
This nutrition information was calculated using a computer program, results may vary.
- Air Fryer Crab Rangoon
- Vol Au Vent Pastry Shells
- Bacon Wrapped Pickles in the AIr Fryer
- Old Fashioned Chocolate No Bakes
- Air Fryer Pumpkin Seeds
- Stuffed Banana Peppers
- Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
- Classic Beef and Dumplings
- Eggnog Cheesecake Squares
- Easy Air Fryer Potato Skins
- Air Fryer Panko Chicken
- Pain Aux Raisins
- Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms
- Garibaldi Biscuits
- Easy Pumpkin Crunch Cake
- Easy Air Fryer Chuck Roast