This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate if you purchase through those links I earn a small commission. Thank you!
Looking for a way to use up the last of the strawberries? Maybe they’re a little long in the tooth or you’re just done dealing with strawberries whatever the reason, make these Roasted Strawberries, you won’t be sorry!
The long slow roast on these berries brings out a refreshingly different flavor in strawberries, they have more depth than most strawberries ever have. Even the berries that are picked and shipped while unripe will taste so much better once roasted!
Low Sugar Roasted Strawberries
One of the best parts of this recipe is that you use very little sugar, about 2 teaspoons per quart of berries. That’s not much sugar at all. Roasting them brings out their natural sweetness so you don’t need a lot of sugar.
If your berries are super sweet you can cut down that sugar to a teaspoon of sugar. And if they’re anything like the storebought berries we get here in Alaska they’re probably going to be more sour than sweet. In that case, add a little extra sugar.
Wondering how to tell if your berries have enough sugar? Add the sugar a teaspoon at a time to the cut-up berries. Then simply taste one. If it’s sour add a bit of extra sugar. It they taste just about right then you know you’ve got enough on them.
Remember roasting amplifies their sweetness so you really don’t need too much. And because you’ll be watching them the entire time you can taste them for sugar and add more to the berries anytime.
Want to Change Them Up?
You can use vanilla sugar on these roasted strawberries, omgosh SO GOOD!
Don’t have vanilla sugar, make it! Add 1/2 a vanilla bean to a cup of sugar and let it sit overnight. The longer the vanilla bean is in the sugar the more flavorful it will be!
You can also split the bean and scrape the seeds into the sugar, this makes a very aromatic vanilla sugar. Again let it rest a day or more for better vanilla sugar results.
You can also add up to a teaspoon of vanilla along with the sugar. Because the berries will begin juicing up quickly once you add the sugar the vanilla extract just mixes right in.
I prefer vanilla sugar but vanilla extract is good too!
What To Do with Roasted Strawberries?
- Serve them over fresh yogurt
- serve them over ice cream
- use them instead of jam on toast or anywhere you use jam
- make fruit on the bottom yogurt cups for lunch or snacks in small mason jars
- PB&Roasted Strawberries
- Drizzle them over the Crostini INSTEAD of Figs and Honey in this Fig Crostini Recipe-you won’t be sorry!
Can I Can Roasted Strawberries?
If you want to make roasted strawberry jam I would suggest looking up a real roasted strawberry jam recipe. This recipe doesn’t have enough sugar in it and therefore may not be safe for canning.
When you’re canning you either need to have sugar OR an acidic product to be shelf-stable. So when you’re looking for a recipe to make roasted strawberry jam please be sure it’s got enough sugar.
Try these other tasty recipes:
- 1 quart strawberries
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla *optional
- preheat oven to 300˚
- clean berries by removing the hull, cutting off any blemishes, and splitting the berries in half, larger berries can be cut in slices
- cover a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper
- put the berries on the baking sheet
- sprinkle with the sugar, taste for sweetness, adding more if necessary
- cook for 20 minutes and stir mixing all the juice over the berries
- continue cooking for 80 minutes total, stirring every 20 minutes
here they are at 40 minutes
- when the juice starts to thicken up its time to take the berries out and let them cool
- the juices will thicken up more as the berries cool
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Weck 976 Mini Mold Jar - Set of 12
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
Madagascar Vanilla Beans Grade A/B (10pk) for Extract and Everything Vanilla by FITNCLEAN VANILLA| 5"-7" Bulk Bourbon Fresh Whole Natural Raw NON-GMO Pods.
SMARTAKE 200 Pcs Parchment Paper Baking Sheets
10 Vanilla Beans - Whole Extract Grade B Pods for Baking, Homemade Extract, Brewing, Coffee, Cooking - (Tahitian)
- BROOKIES From Scratch
- Crispy Air Fryer Cod
- Air Fryer BBQ Pork steak
- Strawberry Crunch Ice Cream Bars
- Our Favorite Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
- Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Crispy Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Sweet Cherry Cobbler
- Easy Air Fryer London Broil
- Kitchen Sink Cookies
- Fresh Strawberry Cake
- Fresh Baked Asparagus Tart
- Easy Air fryer Samosas
- Refreshing Strawberry Crunch Cake
- Spicy Sriracha Aioli
- Maple Brown Sugar Roasted Acorn Squash