These EASY DIY Sprinkles are the best way to make sprinkles at home. Dairy-free AND gluten-free these homemade sprinkles are magical! If you’re looking to make your own sprinkles this recipe is for you!
Have you ever want to make sprinkles at home? Well here’s your chance! Use pantry ingredients and gel food colors to make all the sprinkles you ever need!
Why make homemade sprinkles?
There are quite a few reasons to make homemade sprinkles. First of all DIY sprinkles just take your creations to the NEXT LEVEL. And they’re EASY to make.
Dairy Free Sprinkles
Dairy-Free Sprinkles anyone? Yes, you can with this DIY sprinkle recipe! Making your own guarantees that your sprinkles ONLY contain what you put in them.
Gluten-Free Sprinkles? YES! Again when you make your own sprinkles then you know what’s in them. And you can positively say for certain that they are made 100% gluten-free.
If you’re baking for a celiac ALWAYS clean everything in your kitchen to ensure it’s wheat-free. Typically a gluten-free kitchen is always wheat-free.
Custom Colored Sprinkles
When you need specific colors for a project, say school colors or prom colors, DIY sprinkles make it EASY to match your theme. You control the colors so matching isn’t a huge deal. And it’s CHEAPER by far to make these easy DIY sprinkles at home than order them!
What do I need for DIY sprinkles?
Nothing special! Everything you need for homemade sprinkles is probably already in your pantry.
Ingredients for DIY Sprinkles:
- Powdered Sugar
- Corn Syrup
- Clear Vanilla Flavoring
What Tools do I need for Homemade Sprinkles?
- Mixer–Stand OR Hand Mixer will work
- Rubber Spatula
- Small Bowls
- Gel Food Coloring (invest in the good stuff like Americolor or Chef Master!)
- Piping Bags
- Piping Tips 3, 4, or 5–these are the small round tips
- Parchement Sheets
- Baking trays
Before you make Homemade Sprinkles
Please be aware that they need to set up for a minimum of 12 hours before being used, so you have to plan for them.
AND when you’re piping them on baking sheets you need to pipe ABOVE the sheet and let the sugar paste fall to the baking sheet. Do not drag the tip through across the pan or your sprinkles will look funny!
Try this recipe for Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies and use these sprinkles!!
- put sifter over mixing bowl
- sift in one cup of powdered sugar into the bowl, discard any lumps
- add water, flavor, and corn syrup
- run the mixer on low to combine until all sugar has been saturated
- then sift in remaining powdered sugar stir to combine
- divide between small bowls and add 1-2 drops gel color to bowls as desired, stir to mix in
- remember that you should make the initial color darker than you need because they will fade as they dry
- load piping bags with tips and sugar paste
- line large flat baking sheets with parchment paper
- pipe long lines of sugar paste on the baking sheets
- be sure to pipe ABOVE the baking sheet and let the paste fall onto the sheet and do not drag the piping bag along or your sprinkles will look funny
- use separate sheets if you need to keep the colors separate
- set to dry somewhere they will be untouched for a minimum of 12 hours
- once dry break up the lines to make your sprinkles
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
RICCLE Disposable Piping Bags 12 Inch - 100 Anti Burst Pastry Bags for Icing and Frosting - Ideal for Cakes and Cookies Decoration
Chefmaster - Primary Colors Liqua-Gel Food Coloring Kit - Water-Based Food Coloring Gel - 4 Pack - Highly Pigmented Gel, Create Vividly Colored Desserts, Easy-To-Blend Formula
Food Coloring AmeriColor Student Kit, 12 .75 Ounce Bottles Soft Gel Paste Colors
Wilton #3 Round Decorating Tip
Round Decorating Tip 5
Wilton No.4 Decorating Tip, Round
SMARTAKE 200 Pcs Parchment Paper Baking Sheets
Watkins Clear Vanilla Flavor Extract, 11 oz. Bottle, 1 Count (Packaging May Vary), Clear.