This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate if you purchase through those links I earn a small commission. Thank you!
There is nothing easier than a dump cake! The clue is right in the name, dump it and bake it, no mixing needed. And this one is made using fresh or frozen rhubarb for a rhubarb dump cake that is FULL of flavor!
Layers of rhubarb, strawberry jello, yellow cake mix, melted butter, and water bake together with no mixing to make this rhubarb dump cake a truly simple cake. Sweet and crispy on top, tangy rhubarb underneath!
Making a cake like this is one of the perfect storm sorts of ideas, you have extra rhubarb, you find a cake mix in the cupboard and a box of jello and suddenly you’re making a cake.
Why are there dry spots on this cake?
One of the hallmarks of this cake is that you don’t mix it. You simply layer it. Therefore you will have some spots of drier cake mix. They may LOOK completely dry but then underneath they’re touching the juicy part of the cake.
Can I eat raw cake mix? Don’t they tell you not to eat raw flour? The cake mix isn’t raw once you’ve baked it. There’s nothing to make you sick because it’s all been baked.
There are parts with crumbly dry bits though.
Why don’t you add sugar to this Dump Cake Recipe?
This is a “No Added Sugar Dump Cake Recipe.” There are plenty of recipes out there that call for added sugar. But I have to tell you that they’re too sweet for me! And I love sweets.
The Jello and the cake mix are full of sugar and they make this recipe sweet enough.
BUT YOU CAN ADD UP TO A CUP OF SUGAR!
BUT if you don’t think you’re going to like it with tangy rhubarb on the bottom and sweet crispy cake on the top you can always add up to a cup of sugar AFTER the Jello and BEFORE the cake mix. Don’t stir it in, this cake is about layering, no mixing!
What do I need to make this Rhubarb Dump Cake?
- Chopped Rhubarb
- Small Box of Jello, can be ANY flavor
- ***OPTIONAL*** 1/2-1 cup sugar, you don’t need it but then rhubarb is tangy so add as desired!
- Yellow or White Cake Mix
- Melted butter
- 9×13 pan
Do I thaw the Rhubarb Before adding it to the pan?
I do not thaw rhubarb before adding it to MOST recipes. It gets VERY soupy when it thaws out so it’s best used as close to frozen as possible. For this cake, I let it thaw for about 20 minutes or until I could break it apart with my hands BUT before it was soft and mushy.
Other Amazing Rhubarb Recipes
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb, fresh or frozen, if using frozen do not thaw!
- one 3 ounce box of Strawberry Jello, or use ANY flavor you like
- ***OPTIONAL*** 1/2 cup sugar see notes for more info!
- one 16 ounce box yellow OR white cake mix, I used a Duncan Hines yellow cake
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup water
- preheat the oven to 350°
- layer the rhubarb in the bottom of a 9x13 pan, if it's frozen do not thaw it, just let it thaw enough to break apart
- sprinkle the Jello over the top
- sprinkle the dry cake mix over the Jello
- pour the melted butter on top of the cake mix
- and drizzle the water over the top of everything
- bake in the preheated oven 55-60 minutes or until the top is set in places and the fruit is bubbling hot
- cool a little before serving, this doesn't cut like a cake so be ready to scoop it up!
This is a No Sugar Added Recipe, if you WANT it sweeter add up to a cup of sugar to the layers between the Jello and the Cake mix, don't stir it in, just sprinkle it over
With JUST the jello the tangy rhubarb comes through, with sugar it is sweeter!
Amount Per Serving Calories 325Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 30mgSodium 250mgCarbohydrates 43gFiber 1gSugar 31gProtein 3g
This nutrition information was calculated using a computer program, results may vary.
- Easy Strawberry Dump Cake
- BROOKIES From Scratch
- Crispy Air Fryer Cod
- Air Fryer BBQ Pork steak
- Strawberry Crunch Ice Cream Bars
- Our Favorite Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
- Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Crispy Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Sweet Cherry Cobbler
- Easy Air Fryer London Broil
- Kitchen Sink Cookies
- Fresh Strawberry Cake
- Fresh Baked Asparagus Tart
- Easy Air fryer Samosas
- Refreshing Strawberry Crunch Cake
- Spicy Sriracha Aioli