This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate if you purchase through those links I earn a small commission. Thank you!
Wacky Cake, sometimes called Depression Cake, is a cake made without eggs or milk, or butter. It was called wacky because who would think you could make a cake without those essential ingredients?
When you lived through the Great Depression you figured out how to make a lot of things without crucial components; you just had to do it.
I enjoy making Wacky Cakes because I don’t care for the taste of eggs in cake. Plus Wacky Cake is also a VEGAN CAKE. It’s the perfect dessert for vegans because it doesn’t have eggs OR dairy.
I am NOT a vegan. What I don’t like is the taste of eggs in a cake. Generally, I don’t mind eggs too much, deviled or scrambled or whatever but in cake, I swear I can taste them.
For me, that’s a real turn-off, so I enjoy having a cake that doesn’t have that taste. I mean I’ll eat cake WITH eggs too. But having this vegan cake recipe in my repertoire means I can feed vegan friends cake anytime I want. And what vegan wouldn’t want a piece of this cake??
This Wacky cake is also called a Depression Cake because it uses no eggs, no milk, no butter. All the things that were hard to come by during the depression.
But how does that even work? Human ingenuity, a desire for cake and a little chemistry. The recipe uses the power of vinegar and baking soda to get its lift. This means you don’t have a lot of time to get them in the oven for baking once they’re mixed up and ready to go. Time is of the essence here, or it won’t rise in the pan.
And you can use just about any oil in place of the butter as well. I’m pretty sure the original called for lard or oleomargarine, but in my recipe, I’m using coconut oil. I love coconut oil in this cake, it’s such a complimentary flavor!
Choices for Vegan Oils:
- coconut oil
- vegetable shortening
- vegan butter
- vegetable oil
- butter-flavored vegetable shortening
Wacky cake made without eggs, butter or milk is such a tasty cake. Here I've made it a layer cake filled with jam dusted with powdered sugar.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups cane suagr
- 6 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 cups water
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1 TBSP coffee
- pre-heat oven to 350˚
- grease pans, either 2 8 inch round pans or a 9X13
- sift the dry ingredients together into a large mixing bowl
- warm the coconut oil, water, vinegar and water together
- once the coconut oil has melted pour the liquids in with the dry ingredients and stir to combine
- pour in pan/s and bake 22-25 minutes for layers, 30-35 minutes or until done for 9X13
Serving Size8 servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 593Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 17gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 0mgSodium 630mgCarbohydrates 94gFiber 2gSugar 36gProtein 6g
This nutrition information was calculated using a computer program, results may vary.
- Crispy Air Fried Lemon Pepper Wings
- Rhubarb Muffins with Streusel
- Blueberry Dump Cake
- Summertime Peach Crisp Recipe
- How to roast red peppers
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Exploring the Delights of Edible Flowers
- Easy Lemon Muffins
- Air Fryer Blackened Shrimp
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Zucchini Banana Bread
- Creamy Ranch Chicken Skillet
- Perfect Pairings for Margarita Flavors
- Breakfast Elevated, Sushi Toast
- Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
- Blueberry French Toast Casserole
2 thoughts on “Wacky Cake”
Thanks for sharing this. I had never heard of this cake but it will be great for those times when you want to bake something sweet without having to run to the store for milk and eggs.
That looks so good. I can’t even imagine making a cake without eggs and butter. I need to try this recipe out over the holidays. Pinned!!