This recipe for Rhubarb Bars will get that last bag of rhubarb right out of the freezer. Pair it with another pantry staple, oatmeal and you’ve got cookies you make just about anytime.
But don’t stop at plain rhubarb bars! Got strawberries? Try my Strawberry Rhubarb Bars! I also have a recipe for Blueberry Bars that we love too. And don’t forget you can make any of them with frozen fruit.
Want to know more about freezing and saving your rhubarb, read this post How to Freeze Rhubarb and other Rhubarb Secrets! When I’m looking to fill my freezer for the winter I always turn to my rhubarb patch!
Using up what I have on hand is important to our financial goals (cash out of pocket life!) and this week I seem to have a lot of rhubarb I quick froze last fall still hanging around.
This is what you make when you open the freezer and a bag of frozen rhubarb falls out on your toe. And when that 10-pound box of oatmeal you bought at Costco seems more like 50 pounds. And when you have hungry kids at home these amazing bars will fill them up!
We love a good rhubarb crisp, Rhubarb Dream Bars and this fabulous Strawberry Rhubarb Pie but sometimes you just want cookies! So I turn to an old favorite recipe, reminiscent of bars our local coffee shop sells for 3 bucks a pop. They use raspberries or raspberry jam but I have rhubarb so Rhubarb Bars it is.
Cookies for Lunches
If you plan to send them with kids in lunch boxes they seem to hold up better if they’re cut bigger than what I have pictured, about double that size and they travel better. I don’t know, maybe your kids don’t swing their lunch boxes all the way around their head while belting out a Norse battle cry??
Try Rhubarb Curd
My NEW favorite rhubarb recipe is this beautiful Rhubarb Curd. It’s JUST rhubarb, sugar, eggs, butter, and a little cornstarch but it tastes like so much more.
A few notes on these bars:
• if you’ve got frozen rhubarb more than likely you won’t need the 1/4 cup of water it won’t hurt either way, so use it if you feel like you’re rhubarb is dry
• don’t cover for storage these unless you want them to revert to a mushy mess
•remember to cut bigger for easier packing in lunches!
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 cups of quick cook oats
- 1 1/3 cups of brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1 cup butter
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Cup sugar, more or less depends on your taste
- 4 TBSP Flour
- Preheat the oven to 350˚Make the Crust/Topping:
- mix the dry ingredients together
- cut the butter in chunks and drop it in the dry mix, cut in with a pastry blender or two knives, or use your hands mix it in
- keep mixing until it looks like coarse crumbs
- save off 1 cup of crumbs
- press the rest in the bottom of a 9X13 baking dish
- Make the Rhubarb Filling
- put the rhubarb, water (if using) and sugar in a sauce pan
- bring it to a boil over medium high heat, it will get very juicy as it cooks
- once it comes to a boil reduce the heat to keep it from scorching, just keep it bubbling lightly until the rhubarb is just starting to get soft
- remove 2/3 cup of the juice and whisk in the flour into it
- add it back in the pan and stir until thickened, cook and stir for 1-2 minutes and remove from the heat (you just made rhubarb gravy!)
- spread the rhubarb over the base layer in the 9X13 sprinkle with reserved crumbs
- bake for 30-35 minutes until top is lightly brown and the rhubarb is bubbly
- let it cool before you cut it for best results
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 211Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 20mgSodium 97mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 1gSugar 18gProtein 2g
This nutrition information was calculated using a computer program, results may vary.
- Air Fryer Crab Rangoon
- Vol Au Vent Pastry Shells
- Bacon Wrapped Pickles in the AIr Fryer
- Old Fashioned Chocolate No Bakes
- Air Fryer Pumpkin Seeds
- Stuffed Banana Peppers
- Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
- Classic Beef and Dumplings
- Eggnog Cheesecake Squares
- Easy Air Fryer Potato Skins
- Air Fryer Panko Chicken
- Pain Aux Raisins
- Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms
- Garibaldi Biscuits
- Easy Pumpkin Crunch Cake
- Easy Air Fryer Chuck Roast