This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate if you purchase through those links I earn a small commission. Thank you!
I don’t know about you but my rhubarb is in full-on full force production. Whew, it’s hard to keep up, but I’m harvesting, freezing, and baking as fast as I can. This Rhubarb Bread with Streusel Topping is a great way to use up all that rhubarb!
Rhubarb Bread with Streusel Topping
This recipe makes 8 mini-loaves. You can also make it into a nice big fat coffee cake. The batter will fill more than a 9×13 so be sure to add only enough batter to fill it 2/3 of the way full. The remaining batter can be baked off in a small cake pan or a loaf pan.
Any way you make it, this Rhubarb Bread with Streusel Topping is a surefire hit, so be sure to freeze enough rhubarb to make it all winter long.
There were some questions about how MUCH rhubarb to use in the recipe, you need about 4 cups. I’ve updated the recipe card so you can more easily make this recipe. You can always use a little less than the recipe calls for but I wouldn’t add a lot more, the bread will get soggy if you do.
It’s always ripe
Regardless of what you might have heard, rhubarb doesn’t have a “ripe stage”. When it first pops out of the ground in the spring it’s ready to use. I do let it grow a bit so the plant has a chance to replenish itself from winter. I think I let the stalks get at least 10 inches long before pulling them out. It’s always sour so don’t wait for that to go away, just harvest away.
How to Harvest Rhubarb
That’s important too. Pull the stems to harvest them. If you just cut them the plant doesn’t know it needs to produce more rhubarb. Once you pull a stalk the plant gets busy producing more rhubarb. It’s everbearing so be ready to eat and enjoy your rhubarb all spring and summer long.
If you’re interested in MORE rhubarb information please check out my How to Freeze Rhubarb and Other Rhubarb Secrets post. In it, I try to answer all the questions I get about rhubarb!
If you like rhubarb I have a couple of other delicious recipes for you, I hope you enjoy them.
- Easy Rhubarb Jam
- Rhubarb Oatmeal Bars
- Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal Bars
- Crock Pot Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler
- Rhubarb Dream Bars
- Rhubarb Curd
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt, adjust if using salted butter
- 3/4 cup butter
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking pwoder
- 2 cups buttermilk
- mix dry ingredients
- cut in butter until the mix is crumbly like coarse sand, set aside
- pre-heat oven to 350˚
- generously grease 8 mini loaf pans or a 9X13, set aside
- toss chopped rhubarb with a Tablespoon of sugar
- beat the rest of the sugar with the softened butter, scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed
- add vanilla
- mix in the eggs
- stir the dry ingredients together
- add 1/3 buttermilk and 1/2 dry ingredients to the butter and egg mixture, and mix gently
- add the last of the buttermilk and stir well, do not beat
- add a scoop of batter to the bottom of each loaf pan, tilt to cover the bottom
- divide the rhubarb between the pans, and sprinkle a little in each pan until it's used up
- divide the rest of the batter evenly between the pans
- divide the streusel over the tops of the bread, press lightly to adhere the streusel
- bake in a 350˚ for 40-45 minutes
- test for doneness at 40 minutes using a toothpick, it should come out moist but clean
- if it isn't done, bake another 5 minutes, and repeat with the toothpick
Amount Per Serving Calories 256Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 52mgSodium 386mgCarbohydrates 35gFiber 1gSugar 16gProtein 4g
This nutrition information was calculated using a computer program, results may vary.
- Quick and Easy Pizookie
- Rhubarb Cookies
- Biscoff Cookie Butter Cookies
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Cherry Dump Cake
- Old-Fashioned Iced Molasses Cookies
- Easy Candied Pecans Recipe
- Crispy Chicken Salad
- Easy Strawberry Dump Cake
- BROOKIES From Scratch
- Crispy Air Fryer Cod
- Air Fryer BBQ Pork steak
- Strawberry Crunch Ice Cream Bars
- Our Favorite Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
- Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Cinnamon Glazed Pumpkin Scones with Candied Pecans