This post contains affiliate links if you purchase through those links I earn a small commission.
This Lemon Drizzle Cake is a simple version of Mary Berry’s cake. If this feels like an incredibly British Bake, you’re right it is!
Tender lemon cake, baked to perfection, and expertly dressed with a lemon drizzle. This Lemon Drizzle Cake is sheer perfection.
It’s TIME for another Bake-Along!
That’s right we’re picking up a new old season of the GBBO and baking along with it. If you’re curious about what the Bake-Along is read all about in our GBBO Bake-Along Page.
If you’re just here for cake that’s cool too.
Our Bake-Along is going to be following what Netflix calls Collection 4. This season has contestants such Selasi, Benjamina, Rav, Candice, and many more! Some of my favorite bakers are from this collection, how about you?
As is their tradition the first week is CAKE WEEK so here we are.
The choices for Collection 4 Cake Week were:
- Signature Bake: Drizzle Cake any flavor any recipe
- Technical Bake: Jaffa Cakes
- Showstopper Bake: Mirror Glaze Cake with Genoise sponge
About THIS Lemon Drizzle Cake
This is a version of Mary Berry’s Lemon Drizzle Cake. I altered it to give it American Measurements so anyone can make it. Don’t worry I kept the weight measurements too!
The glaze for this is odd. It’s never really fully dissolved like you would put on this lime pound cake. It’s gritty and it works. The lemon flavor kind of soaks into the cake and leaves a crispy sugared topping behind.
This recipe ALSO calls for Self RAISING FLOUR which is DIFFERENT from SELF RISING flour. I just simply added the baking powder to the recipe without saying self raising because it has a tendency to confuse people. And rightly so. So before you say that’s a lot of baking powder understand that I didn’t ask you to use self raising flour.
What Do You Need To Make a Drizzle Cake?
Nothing special! Really just lemons and basic cake ingredients.
- 12X9 Baking Pan
- Lemons-wax free if you can get them
- A Zester
- Parchment Paper-try these single parchment sheets they will change your baking life!!
- Baking Rack (for drizzling)
How to Get the Wax Off a Lemon or Lime
If you’re zesting lemons, limes, or oranges you can’t find wax free lemons, no big deal! You can remove the wax by pouring boiling water over them and giving them a good scrub with a produce scrubber. OR Soap and hot water will do the same thing.
Either way will get the wax off and leave you with the pure flavor of lemons.
- 1 cup (225 grams) softened butter
- 1 1/8 cup (225 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 cups (275 grams) all-purpose flour
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional if you used unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup (4 Tablespoons) milk
- zest of two lemons, save the lemons for juicing
- juice of two lemons, OR roughly 6 Tablespoons
- 14 Tablespoons (175 grams) granulated sugar** READ NOTES BELOW
- preheat the oven to 350˚
- lightly butter a 9x12 baking tray, line it with parchment paper, leave the ends to stick out each side, set aside
- put everything for the cake in the bowl of a stand mixer, mix to combine for 30 seconds
- stop scrape down the sides
- mix again just to combine
- once combined mix on medium for 2 minutes
- scrape into prepared pan and smooth it out
- bake for 30-35 minutes or until it's lightly browned and pulling away from the edges of the pan
- while it's baking juice the lemons and add enough of the granulated sugar to make a glaze
- when the cake is done let it rest in the pan 5 minutes then lift it out to a cool rack
- mix up the glaze one more time, (the sugar won't really dissolve completely see notes in the post about it), and spoon it over the cake
- spreading it to the edges of the cake as you go
- cool, slice into 12 or 16 pieces and serve
Regarding the sugar in the glaze, as I was putting this into cups and Tablespoons, what I call American Measurements, I transposed some numbers. I wrote DOWN 7 Tablespoons of Sugar is 175 grams. It was pointed out to me that I was wrong, and it should be more like 14 Tablespoons. I've fixed it above, I hope I didn't ruin anyone's cake!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 200Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 67mgSodium 318mgCarbohydrates 37gFiber 2gSugar 16gProtein 5g
This nutrition information was calculated using a computer program, results may vary.