I was inspired to make these Mint Cheesecake Jars from a post I saw for Grasshopper Cheesecake Bars. I wanted to change them up a bit so I made them with my favorite simple cheesecake recipe and few different ingredients.
These were a big hit with my family, except for one odd child who said they were too sweet. The other one suggested I make these Mint Cheesecakes Jars again for St. Patrick’s Day. Gotcha covered kid!
Mint Cheesecakes Jars
When I saw the Grasshopper Cheesecake bars I was like “add that to my posts for the next 6 weeks” and then made them almost immediately. I had to strike while the iron was hot, in this case, while I had cream cheese left in the house. I dug up some mint extract, chocolate grahams, and a little green food coloring and I was in business.
a Tale of Two Boys
I didn’t find these to be overwhelmingly sweet. I love the cheesecake recipe I use because it isn’t incredibly sweet. Lots of good cheesecake flavor comes shining through without it being cloyingly sweet. I think my youngest just doesn’t like cheesecake and didn’t want to say he didn’t like it. A diplomatic effort on his part! My other son son said you should make these again on St. Patrick’s Day. I have to agree they would be perfect for the eating o’ the green. But really you can serve these anytime and no one will complain. Oh well there was that one kid…
I baked these in half-pint jars because I like to pack desserts in jars with a lid and keep them in the fridge. That way they’re ready to roll whenever I need something to pop in a kids lunch.
Or my husband’s lunch. Or for a coffee hour once everyone is off to school. They’re handy and they have a lid so they are just totally portable. But obviously you can eat them home, my favorite way to enjoy one!
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate graham crackers crumbs
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 3 TBSP Sugar
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon mint extract
- few drops green food color
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- optional extra chocolate graham cracker crumbs
- preheat oven to 325˚
- mix crumbs, melted butter, and 3 TBSP sugar together and press in the bottom of 6 half pint wide mouth jars, set aside
- mix the cream cheese and the sugar together until well blended
- add the mint extract, I'd start with half the amount called for and taste it, it will intensify while it bakes, if you feel like it needs more add it as deisred
- add the food color, 1-2 drops at a time until the approximate desired color is achieved
- add the eggs one at a time blending well after each addition
- carefully divide evenly between the six prepared jars, I used a cookie scoop to get the batter in the jar without making much of a mess
- place jars in a baking pan and place in the oven
- pour water around the jars about halfway up the jars
- bake for 30-32 minutes or until the top is set
- take out of the oven carefully and remove the jars from the baking pan
- place on a cooling rack
- top with extra crushed graham crackers if desired
- this recipe calls for baking the cheesecakes in wide mouth half pint jars
- they also need to be baked in a baking pan half filled with water
Amount Per Serving Calories 724Total Fat 46gSaturated Fat 25gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 166mgSodium 685mgCarbohydrates 71gFiber 2gSugar 48gProtein 11g