Alternate working title “I just wanna eat streusel and make stuff, mmmk?” I mean for real, if I could have streusel for every meal, life would be just about perfect. And coffee I want that too. Want to make banana bread better, make Chocolate Chip Banana Bread with Streusel.
So when I was making my FAVORITE One Bowl Chocolate Chip Banana Bread the other day I was drinking coffee and thought “good grief all I NEED is streusel and this day is a perfect ten.”
So I pulled out my no-fail streusel recipe and got busy. Behold the recipe for Chocolate Chip Banana Bread with Streusel was born.
And if you happen to like muffins better, this recipe is perfect for that too! This quick bread recipe is a keeper, for me anyway, who always has frozen ‘ripe’ bananas in her freezer, you feel me on that one?
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread with Streusel
I just wanna eat streusel and make stuff mmmk?
Streusel. I can’t even with streusel. When I make it I love it. When I don’t make it I wish I had made it. I think I might make a giant batch of freezer streusel to put on top of all baked goods. But then I’d probably keep making coffee cakes and quick breads to put it on, and I can imagine that would be a vicious cycle.
Can You Make Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffins Instead?
Yes! in my experience, most if not ALL quick breads can be made into muffins instead. Quick bread doesn’t have yeast in it. Instead, it relies on the power of ingredients to give it volume, usually soda and an acid, in different combinations.
You can assume that each regular size loaf of quick bread will make about 10-12 muffins.
If you’ve got them, toss them in the freezer. It will keep you from getting fruit flies (UGH!), and you’ll be ready to make this EASY one bowl banana bread which kinda relies on ripe bananas that you’ve frozen.
If your bananas are NOT frozen just use a potato masher to crush them up before adding them to the recipe.
GIVE ME ALL THE STREUSEL! This chocolate banana bread brings it with the addition of a streusel topping.
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 TPSP butter, cold
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch salt, optional use if you are using unsalted butter
Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3-4 bananas, overripe that have been frozen and then thawed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, or 1/2 cup of milk with a dash of vinegar
- 1 cup chocolate chips, use a mix if you like, whatever you have on hand
- preheat the oven to 350˚
- to make streusel mix the dry ingredients in the streusel recipe together, then cut in the cold butter with two butter knives or a pastry blender-you can also use a food processor if you like
- when mixture looks like crumbs set aside until batter is finished
- lightly grease two 8x4 loaf pans OR five small aluminum foil loaf pans
- melt the butter, let it cool but not solidify, then stir in the sugar
- beat in the eggs, vanilla and cinnamon
- next cut the tip off each thawed banana and squeeze into the bowl
- stir to combine
- mix the flour, salt and soda together in a separate bowl
- then add the buttermilk alternately with the flour mixture to the batter, stirring to combine, it will be lumpy and unpretty, if there are still floury spots stir a little longer
- stir in the chocolate chips
- divide between the loaf pans and sprinkle streusel on the top of each pan, press it in lightly
- bake for 45-55 minutes for big loaves or 35-40 minutes for small loaf or until a toothpick comes out moist but without crumbs
- cool completely and then store wrapped in the pan unless you want to take the chance of all your streusel coming off
- you can make two regular loaves with this recipe, I included directions for them in the recipe itself
- a food processor can be used to make the streusel topping
Serving Size1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 216Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 34mgSodium 219mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 1gSugar 16gProtein 3g
This nutrition information was calculated using a computer program, results may vary.