This post has affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you.
For all the chocolate lovers out there! Here’s a healthy treat that’s perfect for busy mornings. Look no further than these double chocolate zucchini muffins! Perfect for snacking, easy breakfasts, or just to make and give to friends and family who love baked goods!
Got a lot of extra zucchini?? Let’s use it up! These soft and moist muffins are one of the best ways to use excess zucchini. Full of chocolate chips and flavored with unsweetened cocoa powder gives, these muffins a rich chocolate flavor. Plus, no one has to know they’re ALSO full of zucchini.
I mean, don’t hide it from anyone, but you won’t have anyone picking them apart, looking for green stuff in the double chocolate muffins.
We never hide Vegetables for best results
I don’t advocate hiding vegetables from picky eaters. I recommend telling kids what’s in them and letting them try it. Once they love zucchini muffins and you serve them zucchini in something else, they’ll be much more open to the idea.
Want to make mini muffins??
You can make mini muffins with this recipe! Just use a mini muffin pan and grease it well! For best results, don’t use any papers with a mini muffin pan, they work great without them.
This recipe will make roughly 24 mini muffins give or take a few, depending on the actual size of your mini muffin pan.
If you want kids to love muffins, make them mini! They’re the perfect treat to pop in lunch boxes or serve up for snacks! But let’s be real, adults love mini muffins as well, don’t knock them till you try them!
For these muffins, you will need:
- shredded zucchini
- all purpose flour
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- baking soda
- granulate sugar
- vegetable oil
- vanilla extract can use almond if you prefer
- chocolate chips
- muffin tin
- muffin liners
- large bowl
- medium bowl
- rubber spatula
- wire rack
- box grater or food processor with a grating blade
What kind of chocolate chips should I use
I used semi-sweet chocolate chips in this recipe. You can also use dark chocolate chips if you like them. Or milk chocolate chips work too! Try mini chocolate chips if you have or even white chocolate will work!
Our other favorite Zucchini Recipes
We all know that during zucchini season, summer squash plants are prolific, so you know I have some tasty recipes to use them!
And I also highly recommend participating in “Sneak Them on to Your Neighbor’s Porch” day on August 8th. It’s a great way to share your bounty with people who will love it.
Have you tried making Zucchini Banana Bread?? Full of banana flavor and the moistness of zucchini, this quick bread is perfect for snacking or an easy quick breakfast. Or try my double chocolate zucchini bread!! The same flavors as this muffin recipe but in a quick bread!
Or go savory! Try these Zucchini Fries. They’re crispy and crunchy while also being soft and tender, perfect for dipping! Or make zucchini pancakes! A classic veggie fritter that is a classic for a reason!!
How to Store Muffins
The muffins can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container. You can even freeze these muffins. To freeze muffins, place them in an airtight freezer bag and freeze for up to two weeks. If you’re worried about freezer burn, go ahead and wrap the muffins individually. And then place them in the freezer bag.
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- 1 medium zucchini about 1 1/2 cups of grated fresh zucchini
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350º
- line a muffin pan with muffin or cupcake liners, set aside
- Shred zucchini and set aside
- n a small bowl, combine flour, cocoa soda, and salt and set that aside as well
- Whisk eggs in a large mixing bowl, and add sugar,
- Whisk in oil, vanilla, and milk
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined, do not overmix
- pour off any excess liquid in the zucchinin and then add the shredded zucchini to the batter
- Fold in ¾ cup of chocolate chips
- Divide batter between 12 paper-lined muffin cups
- Top with remaining ¼ cup of chocolate chips
- Bake in center of oven for 15-17 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- Remove from oven and let them cool on a wire rack