This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate if you purchase through those links I earn a small commission. Thank you!
Oh man, this is totally a cheaters version of Chile Verde Recipe. Everyone LOVES to hear we’re having this easy pork stew! Made in your Instant Pot, done in UNDER 35 minutes and it is easy.
Like almost too simple to even write up.
But here I am writing up this Easy Chile Verde Recipe because everyone needs this kind of soul-satisfying dinner in their meal repertoire.
Tender pieces of pork, pressured cooked in green chile enchilada sauce, with mushrooms, green chiles, and white rice make this a one-pot dinner you’ll love to make.
I’ve made an authentic Chile Verde recipe before, or at least as real as one can get using ingredients from regular Alaskan grocery stores in my area. It’s so delicious. But it takes forever or what feels like forever anyway.
My easy-to-make Pork Chile Verde uses Medium Green Chile Enchilada sauce to cut down on the ingredients and time needed for this family fave.
What you need for Easy Chile Verde in the Instant Pot
- light olive oil
- All-Purpose flour
- garlic powder
- ground black pepper
- pork shoulder or pork loin, your choice
- white mushrooms
- green enchilada sauce, mild or medium heat
- canned mild roasted green chiles
- chopped garlic
- chicken broth, chicken stock or water
- chopped cilantro
- uncooked white rice, basmati, or jasmine, rinse well before using
- sour cream and lime wedges, optional for garnish
You can leave out the chile peppers add jalapeno peppers, poblano peppers, hatch peppers, or any other fresh or canned peppers in this recipe! To use fresh peppers just seed and chop and add them to the pot before sealing and cooking.
What to serve with this green chile stew
Since this stew already has white rice cooked into it, it’s thickened up and doesn’t need to be put over more rice. Instead serve it with warm corn tortillas or warm flour tortillas, and a quick salad, and dinner is done.
If you’re looking for another fast and easy Instant Pot dinner recipe try my Instant Pot Pork Loin Chops with Spanish Rice! Or my Instant Pot Stuffed Pork Chops, they are a HUGE hit with teen boys!
Or try this Baked Tilapia recipe from Money Saving Mom. The tilapia bakes for 15 minutes, and while it’s baking you can whip up a side and a salad, and call it done. Talk about fast!
About This Easy Chile Verde Recipe:
- you can add more pork to this recipe, just remember to never go above the fill line on your IP
- use any cut of pork you like, pork shoulder has more fat but it also cooks up tender and juicy, pork loin will be less tender but also more lean than pork shoulder
- this recipe would work well with chicken too
- I add mushrooms to help stretch the meat in the recipe and cut costs. If you don’t like mushrooms you can leave them out and add more pork
- this recipe was created and tested using jasmine rice, other rice such as basmati may have different cook times
- BE SURE to rinse the rice 1-2 times and drain well, this can alleviate sticking to the pot
This is the Instant Pot I Used to Make this Chile Verde Recipe
Love Instant Pot Recipes?
- Instant Pot Cheesecake
- Instant Pot Brownies
- Instant Pot Short Ribs
- Instant Pot Stuffed Pork Chops
- Easy Chile Verde!
Easy Chile Verde in the Instant Pot
- 2 TBSP light olive oil
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds pork shoulder chops, steak or loin, cut in bite size pieces
- 6 ounces white mushrooms sliced to bite size
- 28 ounces green enchilada sauce medium heat
- 8 ounces green chiles canned roasted mild chiles
- 1 tsp garlic chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp cilantro chopped
- 3/4 cup white rice uncooked basmati or jasmine, rinse well before using
- lime wedges Optional
- sour cream Optional
- put inner pot in the Instant Pot, set to saute
- add 1 TBSP of the cooking oil and let it heat
- meanwhile mix the flour, salt, garlic granules, and black pepper in a bowl
- add half the cut up pork to the bowl and toss to cover with the flour
- when the oil is hot in the Instant Pot add the dredged pork, use a slotted spoon to lift the pork out of the flour and place carefully in the hot oil
- let it cook for 1-2 minutes before stirring, while it’s cooking go ahead and get the rest of the pork rolled in flour
- stir the cooking pork so it starts to brown on all sides, not completely cooking just lightly browing up the flour
- when it’s browned, 5 minutes total, remove to a plate covered with a paper towel or brown paper bag and let it drain
- add the second TBSP of oil to the pot and repeat the cooking process for a total of about 10 minutes to brown all the meat
- once it’s done remove it from the pan to drain, add the chicken broth or water to the pan, it will steam up so be aware of that
- while it’s bubbling and boiling scrape the bottom of the pot to get all the browned bits off, then add the sliced mushrooms
- pour in the enchilada sauce, chiles, chopped garlic, cilantro, and browned pork, stir well
- sprinkle the rinsed rice over the top of everything, and stir well
- place the lid on the instant pot, set it to seal
- press cancel on the pot, then manual high pressure, set the time to 4 minutes for jasmine rice, 5 minutes for basmati, the pot should come to pressure fairly quickly because it was nice and hot to start with
- once the timer counts down and the pot beeps let it natural release for 15 minutes before serving, do not quick release for this recipe
- serve and garnish with sour cream and lime wedges if deisred
- Mississippi Pot Roast
- Sausage Tortellini Soup
- spinach stuffed chicken Breast
- Chicken Taco Soup
- Chicken Fajita Casserole
- Best Antipasto Salad: Teen Approved
- Easy Chicken Piccata
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
3 thoughts on “Easy Chile Verde Recipe”
Love the recipe! How many ounces of green enchilada sauce? I am not seeing the measurement. Appreciate you!
Sorry! This new version of WordPress has a tendency to eat the last revision of a post. I added it. It’s 28 ounces!
I am going to do the Verde Pork and then stir in a can of hominy to make Verde Posole. Faster Posole.