Like a Pumpkin Roll
Very similar to the Pumpkin Roll, different flavors, same filling, completely delicious. It looks a little fancy but it’s NOT hard to make. You simply need a few clean dish towels to roll up the cake.
I walk you through the steps in the recipe and it can be done. This cake is, of course, best kept in the freezer and thawed for a few minutes before slicing. If you don’t keep it frozen when you slice it, it will be crushed. Of course, if you smash it a bit, it will still taste just as good, but it won’t be as pretty.
Buy the Bananas
So moral of the story buy too many bananas, eat as many as you like and let the rest get really ripe. Once they get nice and ripe just pop straight away in the freezer, no freezer bags needed! Whenever you want to make a banana bread or a cake or even a yeasted bread simply thaw your bananas IN A BOWL for a couple of hours. They thaw soft and mushy and ready to easily be incorporated into whatever recipe you’re making.
The thing about cake rolls, actually a Swiss roll or a Jelly Roll, is that they LOOK difficult. Like you have to be some sort of magician to make it work.
That’s not true!
Cake rolls, are simple to make. You simply bake a thin cake in a jelly roll pan, a pan made specifically for this type of cake. Once it’s finished baking you turn it out on a clean dish towel and roll it up from the short side and let it cool. Once it’s cool you put the filling in, reroll it and freeze until ready to serve.
I have two other FAB Cake Roll Recipes:
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed with a potato masher
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- heat oven to 375°
- grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan, line with wax paper, parchment paper, OR foil
- grease and flour that layer
- sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen towel with powdered sugar and set aside
- stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt in small bowl
- beat eggs and granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until thick
- beat in mashed bananas
- stir in flour mixture
- spread evenly into prepared pan
- bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until the top of cake springs back when touched
- immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel
- carefully peel off the paper or foil, roll up cake and towel together, starting with the narrow end
- cool on wire rack
- while it cools make the frosting: beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract until smooth,
- beat in 2 cups powdered sugar
- add more powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached
- then carefully unroll the cooled cake
- spread frosting over cake
- re-roll the cake then wrap in plastic wrap and freeze
- when ready to serve remove from the freezer let sit for 5-10 minutes then slice and serve
I call for using WAXED paper to line your pan because you bake this Banana Roll for such a short amount of time, you CAN PUT IT IN THE OVEN. If you don't have waxed paper you CAN use parchment paper OR foil, just grease them well.