Carrot Cake Roll
Oh yes, please! Carrot Cake snuggles up with cream cheese frosting in this simple yet decadent version of a Swiss Roll. Like a Pumpkin Roll but different and fresh and ready to serve to your guests.
Perfect for spring entertaining or special holiday meals, or eating it alone in the pantry when no one is looking. This Carrot Cake Roll is actually a fun baking project to do with kids too, so maybe plan a little kitchen fun with your kids.
We love Swiss Rolls
I didn’t come up with it but was inspired by a pin I saw on Pinterest. But the cake seemed rather plain. So I amped up the spices a bit, by adding a little cardamom and allspice to round out the spices, I love a flavorful carrot cake, don’t you? If the answer is yes try my Carrot Cake Bars too!
As I said this is a fun baking project to do with kids because of the way it’s rolled up. My boys are always amazed when we turn a hot cake out on dish towel and roll it up while hot. The best part is un-rolling it, spreading it with cream cheese frosting, rolling it right back up. Plus there’s cake when you’re done. WIN!
How to get Perfect Slices of a Swiss Roll
One more amazing thing about this cake. FREEZE IT. Yes, freeze it once you’re done filling it and keep it frozen until you’re ready to serve. Then slice it while it’s still frozen. It slices perfectly.
No messy frosting smears. Slice it all at once and freeze individual slices. Or slice it and serve it. Or leave it whole slicing off the pieces you need. Of course, you can always slice it regularly and it will be fine.
Carrot Cake snuggles up with cream cheese frosting in this simple yet decadent version of a Swiss Roll. This Carrot Cake Roll is perfect for spring entertaining or special holiday meals, or eating it alone in the pantry when no one is looking. Any which way you like.
Carrot Cake Roll
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- pinch ground cloves
- pinch ground allspice
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- powdered sugar, for rolling the cake
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 4 TBSP butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp milk
- preheat oven to 350˚
- line an 11x17 baking pan with parchment paper, grease generously and set aside
- in a stand mixer beat the eggs until they are thick and darkened
- while the stand mixer works sift togther the flour, baking powder and spices, set aside
- once the eggs have thickened up add the sugar and mix well
- add the flour mix to the bowl and stir to combine
- add the grated carrots and mix just until combined
- pour into the prepared pan, spread evenly
- bake 10-12 minutes, watching to make sure it doesn't burn
- while the cake is baking spread a large clean dishtowel and sprinkle with powdered sugar
- when it's done it will be springy to the touch
- once it's done remove it from the pan and invert on the prepared towel
- peel off the paper or foil
- sprinkle with additional powdered sugar
- beginning on short side, roll the edge of the towel up and continue rolling the cake with it
- roll it up tightly and leave it someplace safe to cool
- while it's cooling make your frosting by mixing the cream cheese and the butter together
- beat in the powered sugar
- add the milk to make it right consistency
- refrigerate until 30 minutes before ready to use, you want it cool but not hard as a rock
- once the cake is cool unroll it
- spread with the frosting, leving the last inch on the outside of the roll unfrosted
- roll the cake back up, MINUS THE TOWEL, wrap in plastic wrap or foil
- refrigerate or freeze until ready to use
- you CAN use waxed paper instead of parchment but it does smoke a little, I've done it for years but recently switched to parchment
- foil will work too
- you will need a clean dishtowel for rolling the cake
Thanks for reading, would you mind pinning this recipe?