There’s not a Thanksgiving that goes by without Roasted Cabbage with Cheese Sauce on the table. It’s one of those dishes, where tradition and taste meet deliciously.
Tender roasted cabbage, creamy cheese sauce, baked together into a unique side dish that your family will enjoy. It’s even good as leftovers the next day! If you’re thinking of Thanksgiving Leftovers try my Stuffing Waffles, you won’t be sorry!
Ever since I came up with roasting the cabbage it’s been a family staple. So try adding Roasted Cabbage with Cheese Sauce to your family table this holiday season, your family will thank you for it.
Just Add Cheese Sauce
I grew up eating a lot of broccoli and cauliflower. My mom would glean the local vegetable farmer’s field and bring home laundry baskets full of the leftover cruciferous vegetables. Then we would blanch, chill, bag and freeze until the basket was empty and then we would start over.
Like I said we ate a lot of broccoli and cauliflower. After a couple of months, we started to get tired of broccoli and cauliflower. There is only so much you can eat, right?
Just as we were getting tired my mom knew when to pull out the big guns, cheese sauce. There is something about a cruciferous vegetable covered in a cheese sauce that is irresistible.
Roasted Cabbage with Cheese Sauce
Enter cabbage with cheese sauce. This is actually a baked dish so much tastier and divine than broccoli or cauliflower with cheese sauce that might possibly border on heavenly.
And now it’s not Christmas or Thanksgiving without Cabbage and Cheese Sauce, yes it is that good. But like most good things it has a drawback, it can become dreadfully watery if the cabbage is not drained properly. Or in some unfortunate cases even IF drained properly, go figure.
I think I fixed that. The simple act of roasting the cabbage before adding cheese sauce and baking seems to do away with the awful watery mess. Plus the absolute BEST part of cabbage with cheese sauce is the browned cabbage bits achieved during baking. Now those browned bits are built right in due to the roasting, yeah browned bits!
- 1 (4) pound cabbage, washed and split into 10-12 pieces each with aof core
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups grated cheese, cheddar medium or sharp works well
- salt, to taste
- pepper, taste
- heat the oven to 375˚
- lay cabbage slice on baking sheets, drizzle with 2 TBSP olive oil, sprinkle on the teaspoon of salt, roast 30-40 minutes or until it's cooked and browned
- remove, cool slightly and chop with kitchen scissors to bite-sized pieces, removing the core if you desire, set aside while making cheese sauce
- bake for 20-25 minutes in a 350˚
- in a small sauce over medium heat melt the butter
- when it's melted add the flour and cook stirring constantly for 2 minutes
- slowly add the milk, whisking constantly
- cook for 2-3 minutes more, stirring constantly
- when the white sauce/bechamel sauce is thickened add the cheese
- stirring until all the cheese is melted
- remove from heat
- taste and add salt and pepper as desired
Roasted Cabbage with Cheese Sauce
- lightly butter a 2 qt baking dish
- add the cabbage and 3/4 of the cheese sauce, toss together
- pour remaining sauce over the cabbage
- cover and bake at least 10-15 minutes but you can continue baking for at least another 20, it's very forgiving
- To make this dish ahead of time simply store the roasted cabbage and the cheese sauce separately, then combine in a buttered dish and bake until heated through
I’m updating this old post with new photos but I wanted to keep this nugget from 10 years ago. So cute!
Here’s a shot of my kids holding up the ribbons they won from the state fair.