This post contains affiliate links if you purchase through those links I earn a small commission.
In my opinion, the “dilemma” of leftover prime rib is a problem I’m glad to have. It’s perfect in quesadillas, cheesesteak or even au jus sandwiches. But now I have a new favorite dinner featuring the succulent leftovers, a Leftover Prime Rib and Gnocchi Skillet.
Leftover Prime Rib, a tasty problem to have!
Whether we have a lot of prime rib roast leftover or just a slice a two, it’s always a tasty ‘problem’ in our house. Some people don’t like leftovers, but we love them!
Our teen boys make leftovers into lots of different meals. I cook with the aim of having leftovers, so there’s always food to eat. I stopped buying snacking food and just started buying more real food. I feel like it fuels up growing kids so much better than emptier calories like chips or crackers.
A Leftover Prime Rib Recipe
While the water for the gnocchi is boiling, heat olive oil or butter in a skillet. Add leftover prime rib and quickly sautée with red peppers, or ANY other veggies you want to use or need to use up.
Once the gnocchi are cooked you toss everything together and top it with grated parmesan. Seriously this skillet is so quick and easy and tasty everyone will appreciate it, and you can make it in UNDER 25 minutes, really more like 15 minutes. And kids can make it for dinner too!
Leftover Steak will work too
Any leftover beef will work in this recipe. Think leftover steaks, leftover short ribs, and leftover roast beef, even a pot roast would be fine.
I happened to have leftover prime rib roast from Christmas dinner, so I used that. You know me, use what you’ve got!
If you want to give it a little extra flavor, you could add a dash of Worcestershire sauce or serve it with a creamy horseradish sauce.
What ELSE can you make with Leftover Prime Rib?
You can make a lot of things with leftover prime rib! Like sandwiches or au jus sandwiches. Or pile on peppers and onions in a skillet and add the beef, sprinkle with cheese and serve. Or try my Easy Quesadilla with Leftover Prime Rib Roast Recipe! It’s new and a keeper!
What kind of Gnocci Can you Pan Fry?
When you’re thinking of Pan Frying Gnocci you are looking for a product that comes packaged like fresh pasta in the store. I usually find in the non-refrigerated past aisle of the store. Or you can grab it on Amazon!
- 1-1/2 pounds gnocchi, fresh, ready to cook
- 1 TBSP butter, or olive oil
- 2 cups assorted vegetables, I used red pepper and brussels sprouts
- 1 pound leftover prime rib, can use steak or left over roast beef as well
- hard cheese, to be grated over the skillet once it's cooked
- begin by setting up the water for cooking gnocchi and getting on to a boil
- cut the vegetables into a little less than bite sized pieces, repeat with the prime rib
- heat the butter or oil in 10 inch skillet over medium-high heat, once it's hot add the vegetables and dry fry them for 1-2 minutes
- then add the prime rib and cook and additional 1-2 minutes
- remove from the heat or just turn the burner to very low to keep it warm
- at this point the water should be merrily boiling away, once it is cook the gnocchi according to cooking instructions-the kind I used are from Costco and cook in 40 seconds
- put the skillet back on the heat and turn it up to medium while the gnocchi cook
- once the gnocchi are cooked drain well and toss with the prime rib and vegetables in the skillet-you aren't looking to cook anything at this point so simply tossing to combine is all you need to do
- taste for salt and pepper, add if needed
- to serve top the hot skillet dinner with fresh grated cheese or simply pass the cheese around the table
- use any kind of vegetable you have or what you like
- feel free to use leftover cooked vegetables but don't add them until you heat the prime rib through and you're letting it rest until you add the gnocchi, that way they'll be warmed but not soft and limp
- I use (and like!) Gnocchi from Costco-it always cooks up nicely and the only time I screw it up is when I cook it or longer than it says