This post has affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you.
This Double Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread is a sweet and tasty way to enjoy zucchini! Got a LOT of zucchini? Is your garden in overdrive?? Or maybe you were slipped some extra zucchini because it’s National “Put Zucchini on Your Neighbor’s Porch Day” (IT’S A THING!!!)
Whatever the reason making some of that extra zucchini into Chocolate Zucchini Bread is the perfect way to use it up! Full of chocolate chips AND topped with extra chocolate chips this decadent chocolate bread is a crowd-pleaser.
This quick bread is full of freshly grated zucchini, cocoa powder, and semi-sweet chocolate chips and bakes up in no time for an anytime loaf that everyone loves. Chocolate and zucchini go together really well and it’s a great way to get some veggies in.
I do not think and have never thought it was a good idea to sneak vegetables into food. I firmly believe kids should eat veggies as vegetables so they get used to eating them and it’s just normal. Sneaking them in doesn’t make them part of dinner.
What is a quick bread?
You may have noticed that above I called this a quick bread. Quick bread is almost a cake-like bread instead of yeast bread. They’re called quick bread because they don’t have to take time to rise like yeast bread.
The rising action in quick bread often comes from baking soda. It’s “activated” by acids such as lemon juice, vinegar, and even buttermilk.
If the recipe calls for Baking Powder it’s got tartaric acid, cream of tartar, doing the lifting.
Sometimes eggs are used instead of a liquid like lemon juice or buttermilk. This can happen when the recipe already has moist ingredients in it like in this zucchini bread recipe!
Muffins are quick bread recipes just made in muffin tins. These double chocolate muffins from So Yummy look delicious!
What do I need to make This Recipe?
- shredded zucchini
- cocoa powder
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- light flavored oil
- baking soda
- all-purpose flour
- vanilla extract
- large mixing bowl
- medium bowl
- 8×4 OR 9×5 loaf pan
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- parchment paper
- softened butter for greasing the pan
- wire rack to cool the loaf
- paper towels
How to shred zucchini
Shred zucchini JUST like you shred cheese! Use a cheese grater, box grater, OR a food processor fitted with a shredding blade. Just use what you have, you don’t need one kind or the other.
Do you peel the zucchini for zucchini bread?
Sometimes I do! It makes it go down easier for the people that are like that in your life. If no one cares then don’t peel it. If someone is going to skip eating zucchini bread because of the peel then skip it.
For chocolate zucchini bread the green peel rarely ever shows up in the finished loaf. So you typically don’t need to peel zucchini for chocolate recipes.
Can I use frozen zucchini for this Zucchini Bread?
In this chocolate zucchini bread recipe you can use fresh OR frozen grated zucchini. The trick to using frozen is to let it thaw first. Then drain it and squeeze out about half the excess moisture.
Just give it a squeeze and get some of the water out. Don’t remove all of it, you don’t want bone-dry zucchini just slightly less than the liquid form it turns into when frozen.
Or pat the zucchini dry with paper towels.
How to make zucchini Bread
The trick to making good zucchini bread or any quick bread, is you don’t want to over-mix the batter. Mix the dry ingredients together and set aside. Mix the wet ingredients together. Then mix the wet into the dry and then add the shredded zucchini. Just stir everything together until mixed together.
This batter for this chocolate zucchini bread is quite dry until you add the zucchini. Don’t worry that’s just how it is.
Other Zucchini Recipes you Might like for zucchini season
Or for the next time, someone slips some zucchini onto your porch or into your car! Fresh zucchini works in sweet or savory recipes. Here are a few family faves:
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 1 ⅛ cups flour 2 TBSP is equal to 1/8 cup
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup light olive oil or use vegetable oil
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini about 2 medium zucchini
- 1 ⅓ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips divided
- preheat the oven to 350°
- grease and line a 9×5 OR 8×4 loaf pan with parchment or just grease it
- mix the flour, cocoa powder, soda, and salt together and set aside
- is a separate large bowl
- mix the wet ingredients together
- mix the wet into the dry ingredients, it will be thick
- then add the shredded zucchini and stir only to combine
- stir in the 2/3 cup of the chocolate chips
- scrape into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle with the remaining chocolate chips
- bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- the bigger loaf pan will cook quicker while a smaller loaf pan will take a little longer because the loaf is bigger
- let the bread cool for 10-15 minutes and then gently ease out of the pan
- cool completely on a wire rack