This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate if you purchase through those links I earn a small commission. Thank you!
This Double Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread is a sweet and tasty way to enjoy zucchini! Got a LOT of zucchini? Is your garden in overdrive?? Or maybe you were slipped some extra zucchini because it’s National “Put Zucchini on Your Neighbor’s Porch Day” (IT’S A THING!!!) Whatever the reason making some of that extra zucchini into Chocolate Zucchini Bread is the best revenge! Full of chocolate chips AND topped with extra chocolate chips this loaf is a crowd pleaser.
This quick bread is full of freshly grated zucchini, cocoa powder, and chocolate chips and bakes up in no time for an anytime loaf that everyone loves.
What is a quick bread?
You may have noticed that above I called this a quick bread. Quick breads are almost a cake-like bread instead of yeast bread-like. They’re called quick bread because they don’t have to take time to rise like yeast bread.
The rising action in quick bread comes from either baking soda or baking powder and sometimes both. Those are typically activated by acid. Lemon juice, vinegar, and even buttermilk can all be used to activate your leavening agents, ie baking soda or baking powder or cream of tartar.
Sometimes eggs are used instead of a liquid like lemon juice or buttermilk. This can happen when the recipe already has moist ingredients in it like in this zucchini bread recipe!
What do I need to make Chocolate Zucchini Bread?
- shredded zucchini
- cocoa powder
- chocolate chips
- light flavored oil
- baking soda
- all-purpose flour
- mixing bowls
- 8×4 OR 9×5 loaf pan
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
How to shred zucchini?
Shred zucchini JUST like you shred cheese! Use a cheese grater OR a food processor fitted with a shredding blade. Just use what you have, you don’t need one kind or the other.
Do you peel the zucchini for zucchin bread?
I do! It makes it go down easier for that people that are like that in your life. If no one cares then don’t peel it. If someone is going to skip eating zucchini bread because of the peel then skip it.
For chocolate zucchini bread the green peel rarely ever shows up in the finished loaf. So you typically don’t need to peel zucchini for chocolate recipes.
Can I use frozen zucchini for this Zucchini Bread?
In this chocolate zucchini bread recipe you can use fresh OR frozen grated zucchini. The trick to using frozen is to let it thaw first. Then drain it and squeeze out about half the liquid.
Just give it a squeeze and get some of the water out. Don’t remove all of it, you don’t want bone-dry zucchini just slightly less than the liquid form it turns into when frozen.
How to make zucchini Bread
The trick to making good zucchini bread or any quick bread, is you don’t want to over-mix the batter. Mix the dry ingredients together and set aside. Mix the wet ingredients together. Then mix the wet into the dry and then add the shredded zucchini. Just stir everything together until mixed together.
This batter for this chocolate zucchini bread is quite dry until you add the zucchini. Don’t worry that’s just how it is.
Other Zucchini Recipes you Might like
- 1 ⅛ cups of flour (2 TBSP is equal to 1/8 cup)
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup neutral-tasting oil-I use light olive oil
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded zucchini, about 2 medium zucchini
- 1 ⅓ cups chocolate chips, divided
- preheat the oven to 350°
- grease and line a 9x5 OR 8x4 loaf pan with parchment or just grease it
- mix the flour, cocoa powder, soda, and salt together and set aside
- mix the wet ingredients together
- mix the wet into the dry ingredients, it will be thick
- then add the shredded zucchini and stir only to combine
- stir in the 2/3 cup of the chocolate chips
- scrape into the prepared pan and sprinkle with the remaining chocolate chips
- bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- the bigger loaf pan will cook quicker while a smaller loaf pan will take a little longer because the loaf is bigger
- cool for 10-15 minutes and then gently ease out of the pan
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 571Total Fat 33gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 41mgSodium 214mgCarbohydrates 69gFiber 5gSugar 50gProtein 7g
This nutrition information was calculated using a computer program, results may vary.
- Pain Aux Rasins
- Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms
- Garibaldi Biscuits
- Easy Pumpkin Crunch Cake
- Easy Air Fryer Chuck Roast
- Crispy Air Fryer Fried Chicken
- Easy Gingerbread Cookie Bars
- White Chocolate No-Bake Cookies
- Grilled Aidells Sausages in the Air Fryer
- Crispy Air Fryer Okra
- Easy Pumpkin Brownies
- Old Fashioned Apple Crisp
- Dutch Apple Bread (Easy Recipe)
- Stuffing Pork Chop Casserole
- The Best Apple Pie Cookies
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread