This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate if you purchase through those links I earn a small commission. Thank you!
Need a new way to use up the zucchini in the garden or from your CSA box or the farmer’s market? Then you need this recipe for Air Fryer Zucchini Sticks!! Even the people who swear not to like zucchini LOVE THESE!
Is this the PERFECT savory zucchini recipe?? It might be! Start with small zucchini or yellow squash and slice them into steak fry-size pieces. Then roll them in flour, egg, and a seasoned bread crumb and parmesan cheese coating before air frying in a preheated air fryer.
Air Fryer Zucchini Sticks
These fresh zucchini sticks are perfect as an appetizer or snack or they even make a great side dish. Serve them with this sriracha aioli, this jalapeno ranch, or even this bacon ranch dressing will be delicious too!! If you have a favorite marinara sauce they taste great with it too!
Need more zucchini recipes? I know that’s how it goes with zucchini!! Here are a few great options! Another way we enjoy using up a large zucchini is by making these crispy crunchy Salt and Pepper Zucchini Chips. They’re definitely fun for snacking! Or we use them to make Chocolate Zucchini Bread, no one ever knows it’s got zucchini in it!!
This is a Zucchini AND Yellow Squash Recipe
That’s right you can use this recipe WITH BOTH small zucchini and yellow squash. They are essentially the same thing at the small stage and can be used interchangeably in this easy-fried zucchini recipe. I don’t know about other recipes but for this one use either baby/small zucchini or yellow squash!
The key to Good AIr Fryer fries made out of Zucchini ??
There are several tips here, they all kind of go together. If you use all three tips you’ll definitely be on the way to making the best crunchy air fryer zucchini fries!!
The key to making good zucchini fries with maximum crunch is using SMALL, and therefore almost seedless zucchini. The seeds in bigger squash, yellow or green, get mushy first when you cook them. So choose the smallest you can find.
Another way to get the best zucchini fries is to choose the most uniform-sized zucchini that you can find. This means you get even cooking and NO MUSH!
And finally when cutting them make sure the zucchini slices are as close to the same size as possible.
Don’t have small zucchini??
If you can’t find small zucchini and they’re not of a uniform size NO WORRIES. You can still make good fries! Just cut the zucchinis as close to uniform size as possible.
What do I need to make Air Fryer Zucchini?
- small and uniform zucchini or yellow squash
- Italian Style bread crumbs
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- oil to spray or brush on the zucchini
- Air Fryer-I generally use a basket air fryer
- paper towels to blot up excess moisture
- shallow bowls or pie pans
- chefs knife
Are the Veggie Fries Low Calorie?
YES! Zucchini is VERY low in calories and paired with the coating ingredients these crispy zucchini fries still come in very low at just 124 calories per serving!
PLUS they’re crispy and crunchy without being deep-fried. Which again means they’re of course lower in fat and calories.
I don’t believe these work for the keto diet though, you need very low carb for that type of diet and the breading mixture on these is not low carb.
If you have leftovers store them in an airtight container for up to three days in the fridge. Reheat them in the air fryer, the hot air will get them a little bit crispy again. They won’t be as good as when they were first made but they’re still tasty!
Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- 1 pound small zucchini or yellow squash as close to uniform in size as possible
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup Italian Bread Crumbs with the herbs and spices in them
- oil for spraying or brushing on the zucchini sticks
- *optional* your favorite dipping sauces
- preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes
- set up three bowls and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper
- in the first bowl add the flour and spices and stir to combine
- in the second bowl beat the eggs
- in the third bowl put the panko
- slice the zucchini into fry-sized pieces, cut them as uniformly as possible, blot up any extra moisture with paper towels
- dip a piece in the flour, then in the egg, then in the crumbs, and lay it on the baking sheet
- repeat until you have enough to fill the basket of the air fryer
- fill the basket of the air fryer
- spritz or spray with oil
- set the air fryer to 380° for 10 minutes
- air fry at 380° for 5 minutes, then check and see how they're doing, if they need an extra spritz of oil go ahead and spray them now
- continue air frying until they are crispy and brown on the outside
- meanwhile, finish dipping the remaining zucchini slices
- when the timer goes off check to see how brown the zucchini fries are, if they're done to your liking put them on a platter and add more slices to the basket, spray with oil, and air fry again, or if they need another minute or two continue air frying
- repeat with the remaining slices as needed to finish them off
- serve with your favorite dip, we love sriracha aioli
- Quick and Simple Air Fryer Cabbage
- Candied Pecan Marshmallow Sweet Potato Casserole
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- Our Favorite Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
- Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Crispy Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Maple Brown Sugar Roasted Acorn Squash
- The BEST Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
1 thought on “Air Fryer Zucchini Fries”
OMG! I couldn’t believe how golden and crispy these Air Fryer Zucchini Fries. My husband thought I was lying when I said that they were not fried but air fried! He went back for seconds! I will be making these again!