This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate if you purchase through those links I earn a small commission. Thank you!
Have you tried Air Fryer Pork Steak? If you enjoy juicy tender pork steak wait until you make them in the air fryer! One quick trip through the air fryer and you’ve got amazing tasty pork steaks the whole family will love.
These steaks start with my barbecue rub made from pantry staples, then they’re partially air fried before being brushed with bbq sauce and air fried until they’re cooked through.
It’s one of our favorite pork recipes and I think it’s one of the best easy air fryer recipes on my site, period!!
What are Pork Steaks?
Cut from the pork shoulder pork steaks are like bigger juicier pork chops. They’re also called pork blade steaks. Think of a country-style rib BUT thin like a pork chop and you’ve got a pork steak. Plus they’re a cheaper cut so they’re budget-friendly too.
You can sub in the same weight of bone-in pork chops or boneless chops. Just don’t overcook those boneless pork chops, they’ll b tough and dry.
My Favorite Pantry Staple BBQ Rub
This rub is SO tasty I use it on my Air Fryer BBQ Pork Chops, Oven BBQ Pork Chops, AND my Oven Barbecued Chicken. Whenever I tell my kids we’re having bbq anything for dinner I KNOW it’s going to be a hit.
Since this rub relies on products you probably already have in your pantry you won’t need anything special except your favorite sauce for these pork steaks.
And if you don’t have the ingredients in your pantry I bet you’ll be finding new ways to use those spices in all the other areas of your cooking so buying them won’t be a loss for you!
What do I need to make BBQ Pork Steak in the Air Fryer?
- An Air Fryer –this recipe was tested and made in a Cosori 5.8 Max XL Basket Style Air Fryer (example photo in the recipe card!)
- Pork Steak or Blade Steak
- brown sugar
- smoked paprika
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- chili powder
- black pepper
- barbecue sauce
- pastry brush
How to cook pork steaks
The best thing about pork steaks is that they’re hard to mess up and VERY flexible. They can be grilled, pan-fried, baked, barbecued and so much more! You want to cook them just until they’re done so using a digital thermometer is important. You want to cook them to an internal temperature of 145 degrees and then give them a 3-minute rest. The temperature will go up to 155 for perfectly done steaks.
The BEST digital instant-read thermometer is the Thermapen. It delivers instant results in one second so you don’t lose all the heat from the air fryer. Just open the air fryer quickly, insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the meat, and in 1 second, you’ll have the temperature and can quickly close the drawer again.
Since air frying works by circulating hot air inside the air fryer any time it’s open you’re possibly extending the cooking time by losing heat. The less time the heat is flowing out, the less actual run time you need.
To cook them evenly lay them in a single layer in the air fryer basket, with no overlapping if you can help it. This is the best way to ensure even cooking and getting the cooking time correct. If you overlap them you will have some parts overcook while the layered steaks may not be fully cooked.
One pork steak makes a hearty serving for an adult. But if you’re feeding kids you might be able to get away with making one steak stretch for two kids. I don’t know though, my kids never were light eaters.
What to Serve with Pork Steaks
- Steakhouse Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
- Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
If you have leftovers
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat as desired in the air fryer.
BBQ Pork Steak in the Air Fryer
- 2 pork steaks totaling 1-1 1/2 pounds
- 2 TBSP light olive oil
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup bbq sauce use your favorite!
- preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes
- while it heats measure the sugar and spices and mix up
- rub the oil on the pork steaks
- sprinkle the spice mix on the steaks and rub in, let them rest while the air fryer gets hot
- when the air fryer is hot lay the steaks in the basket and cook on 370 for 5 minutes
- flip and cook again for 5 minutes
- check for doneness with a meat thermometer, it should read 145°
- brush with the bbq sauce on one side and cook for 1 -2 minutes
- flip and brush with the sauce again and cook for 1-2 more minutes
4 thoughts on “Air Fryer BBQ Pork steak”
What temp did you cook these at?
370° its in the recipe card : )
I’m making the barbeque pork shoulder steaks. Air fryer recipe. I make my own sauce. Wish me luck. Your recipe sounds fantastic.
I made your recipe last night. It was really good. Flavors were very good.