This post contains affiliate links if you purchase through those links I earn a small commission. Thank you!
Need a new dip for all your veggies that’s low in carbs and HIGH in flavor?? Check out this AMAZING Baba Ganoush, or Roasted Eggplant Dip. Eggplant never had it so good!
what exactly is Baba Ganoush
This rich flavorful dip features roasted eggplant, tahini, garlic, olive oil, plus salt and pepper for a depth of flavor that’s out of this world!
It’s NOT hummus even though it features almost the same ingredients as hummus. The MAIN ingredient in hummus is garbanzo beans whereas the main ingredient in baba ganoush is roasted eggplant.
AND it’s VELVETY smooth, while hummus is always just a little chunky even when pureed “smooth.”
How to Eat Baba ganoush
Turn your teenagers loose on it. HA! This batch was gone so fast I hardly had time to finish snapping photos! So of course you know I had to make ANOTHER batch, but this time double! And it’s already gone again.
The secret to serving this roasted eggplant dip is having ALL the dippable things right there ready to be eaten. I mean it’s hard to resist a fragrant dip surrounded by vegetables, flatbreads, crackers, and so on.
Try pairing it with something spicy or acidic to give it a little extra oomph! Sauerkraut is nice or try this easy pickled cabbage recipe. Even something like pickle chips will enhance a snack platter.
What Do I need to make this Roasted Eggplant Dip?
- tahini-a sesame seed paste
- olive oil–extra virgin OR light olive oil
- a food processor
- roasting pan
- aluminum foil
How to Roast Eggplant for Baba Ganoush
For this recipe cut the eggplant in half lengthwise. This leaves the three seeded areas on each half roughly intact. That’s important for seed removal after they’re roasted.
A quick soak in salted water will give you a better flavor in the finished product. Eggplant can be a little bitter and when you soak it in salt water the bitterness is alleviated. If you’re short on time you can skip this but your dip may be bitter.
Once it’s soaked rinse it thoroughly and pat it dry. Rub it lightly with oil, place on a baking sheet, cover it with foil, and roast at 400 until soft and smushy.
Let the eggplant cool and then the skin will easily peel off. After the skin is off use a spoon to scoop out all the seeds. You just need to get out the biggest seeds, little seeds will be just fine.
- 1 pound eggplants, a little more or less is fine!
- 2 TBSP olive oil of your choice
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 2-3 TBSP lemon juice, you'll measure this to taste
- 1 teaspoon mince garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch of smoked paprika (optional if like a smokey hint to your food)
- garnish with chopped parsley, black pepper, smoked paprika or even hot paprika
- wash the eggplants, trim off each end, and cut lengthwise
- fill a mixing bowl with cold water and dissolve a teaspoon or so of salt in it
- add the eggplant and lay a plate on it to keep it from floating if needed
- preheat the oven to 400°
- let the eggplant soak for 20 minutes and then rinse it with fresh water
- lightly brush the eggplant with oil
- place on a baking sheet and cover with foil
- roast for 50-60 minutes or until it's mushy
- let it cool uncovered until you can touch it without getting burnt
- peel the skin off the eggplant, then flip them over and scoop the seeds out of the eggplant
- there are 6 lobes of seeds in the eggplant so you may have to scoop around some to get them out
- once the seeds are out place the eggplant in a sieve and let it drain over a bowl, gently pressing down to get the juices out
- once it's drained put it in the bowl of a food processor, add the tahini, olive oil, garlic, salt, and SOME of the lemon juice
- puree until smooth
- taste and add more lemon juice as desired, puree and taste again
- place in an airtight container and refrigerate until smooth
- to serve: spread the baba ganoush in a flat bowl or plate, drizzle with extra olive oil, sprinkle with parsley and fresh ground black pepper
Amount Per Serving Calories 153Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 1mgSodium 187mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 3gSugar 3gProtein 3g
This nutrition information was calculated using a computer program, results may vary.
- Pain Aux Rasins
- Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms
- Garibaldi Biscuits
- Easy Pumpkin Crunch Cake
- Easy Air Fryer Chuck Roast
- Crispy Air Fryer Fried Chicken
- Easy Gingerbread Cookie Bars
- White Chocolate No-Bake Cookies
- Grilled Aidells Sausages in the Air Fryer
- Crispy Air Fryer Okra
- Easy Pumpkin Brownies
- Old Fashioned Apple Crisp
- Dutch Apple Bread (Easy Recipe)
- Stuffing Pork Chop Casserole
- The Best Apple Pie Cookies
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread