This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate if you purchase through those links I earn a small commission. Thank you!
These Honey BBQ Air Fryer Chicken Wings are something else! Perfect for snacking, parties, or just a wing fest with family. You can’t go wrong with wings that aren’t hot or spicy!
Start with my homemade bbq rub recipe, plus the secret ingredient to crispy wings, and of course wings. Air fry them until crispy and then finish them with a bbq glaze. You’re going to love sharing these wings with friends and family!
The Secret Ingredient to Crispy Chicken Wings
I ALSO tested this out myself with some wings while I was recipe testing. I blotted off ALL the juice on the chicken wings prior to seasoning being added. I baked air fryer some wings WITHOUT baking powder and some wings WITH baking powder. The wings WITH baking powder got crispier quicker.
Do NOT confuse baking powder with baking soda. Baking soda will give you a weird taste when you use as much as is called for here.
Do I need to Use Baking Powder on Air Fryer Chicken Wings? Even Saucy ones??
Do Honey BBQ Wings need to be CRISPY?? I think yes. I tried these wings with and without baking powder and I liked how you could tell they were crispy under the BBQ Sauce.
If you don’t have baking powder or don’t want to mess with it then by all means skip it. Just blot off all the liquid on the chicken skin and air fry as called for. Or for fun try it for yourself! Just make some of the wings WITH baking powder and some without, see which way you prefer them.
What Do I Need to Make these Honey BBQ Wings
- An Air Fryer-This recipe was tested in a Cosori Max XL 5.8 Basket Air Fryer
- Chicken Party Wings-wings cut into 3 parts, flats, drumettes, and tips(tips will be discarded)
- Spice Rub –ingredients listed below
- BBQ Sauce–Your Favorite is what you should use
What do I need to make the BBQ Rub?
The BEST part of these wings is that you don’t need anything special for the rub. They’re ALL pantry ingredients.
- brown sugar
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- chili powder
- smoked paprika, also called Spanish Paprika
What kind of Dipping sauce to serve with Honey BBQ Wings?
You can serve ANY creamy style dip or dressing with these wings. I just served them with an extra bowl of honey bbq sauce for dipping. My kids didn’t think they needed ANY dipping sauce. Use what you have or love!
Need more Snack Recipes?
- Mini Bagels
- Bacon Wrapped Crackers
- Air Fryer Totchos
- Old Fashioned Sausage Balls
- America’s Favorite Wings
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 TBSP Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tps chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup bbq sauce, use your favorite brand, or homemade
- 1 TBSP honey
- 1 pound chicken wings, cut to flats and drums, discard the tips or save for making a broth
- 2 TBSP oil
- assemble the spice rub by mixing the baking powder through the black pepper together, stir well and set aside
- preheat the air fryer to 400° for 5 minutes
- pat the chicken as dry as possible
- toss with the oil
- and then rub all over with the spice rub
- when the air fryer is done preheating lay the wings in the basket in a single layer
- set the timer to 5 minutes and air fry on 390°
- when the timer goes off turn the wings over
- set the timer to 5 minutes and air fry again at 390°
- meanwhile, mix the bbq sauce and the honey together and set aside
- after 10 minutes the wings should be almost done
- turn the wings over brush with the glaze and air fry on 390° for 2 minutes
- flip and repeat
- test for doneness with a digital thermometer, it should read 160° in the thickest wing you have in the pan, it will rise to 165° after you take it out of the fryer
- serve hot with dipping sauce of your choice
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 352Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 63mgSodium 600mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 1gSugar 11gProtein 14g
This nutrition information was calculated using a computer program, results may vary.
- The Best Apple Pie Cookies (Easy Recipe!)
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Quick and Simple Air Fryer Cabbage
- Raspberry Cookies
- Candied Pecan Marshmallow Sweet Potato Casserole
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- Crispy Air Fryer Fried Pickles
- Brown Butter Cowboy Cookies
- The Best Tater Tot Casserole Recipes
- Water Bath Canning Made Easy!
- Blueberry Muffin Cookies
- Pecan Pie Cookies
- Best Buckeye Brownies
- Fresh and seasonal Blueberry Crisp
- Quick and Easy Pizookie
- Rhubarb Cookies