This post contains affiliate links if you purchase through those links I earn a small commission. Thank you!
Got steaks and it’s impossible to grill? It’s the Air Fryer to the rescue!! These Air Fryer New York Strip Steaks cook perfectly in the house, no grill required!
Lightly seared steak simply seasoned with salt and pepper and cooked to perfection in the air fryer is the perfect way to cook steaks all year round!
Why make steaks in the air fryer?
I’m a gas grill kinda girl through and through but right about November we pack our grill away. And so naturally we pretty much go without steaks all winter long. Not anymore!!
Sometimes steaks go on sale and you just can’t pass up a good deal. Or maybe you buy a box of beef and get steaks in the middle of winter. What if your grill is broken or maybe it’s raining? Or it’s -15˚F and you need to grill a steak.
Whatever the reason, it’s a GOOD reason to cook steaks in the air fryer.
What do I need to make Air Fryer New York Strip Steaks?
- A GOOD Air Fryer, I use and LOVE the Cosori XL Air Fryer
- a spray bottle for oil, OR use a pastry brush and a little oil
- I can’t recommend a good digital thermometer enough!
- fresh ground black pepper
- ANY spice mix you prefer, if you like to add them please do!
How Long Do You Cook Steak in the Air Fryer?
You need to cook steak in the air fryer to your preferred doneness. Remember that EVERY machine is completely different so the first time out of the gate you should keep an eye on it. AND measure doneness with an instant-read thermometer to help you figure out how long your machine takes.
And remember to cook it to about 5˚ LESS than the finished desired finished temp.
To Air Fry Steak:
- Rare Steak: Air Fry for about 8 minutes OR until an Instant Read Thermometer reads 135˚ this will increase to 140˚ as it rests
- Medium Rare Steak: Air Fry for about ten minutes OR until an Instant Read Thermometer reads 140˚ this will increase to 145˚ as it rests
- Medium Steak: Air Fry for about 12 minutes OR until an Instant Read Thermometer reads 155˚ this will increase to 160˚ as it rests
- Well Done Steak: Air Fry for about 14 minutes OR until an Instant Read Thermometer reads 165˚ this will increase to 170˚ as it rests
- 18 ounces of New York Strip Steaks
- oil in a spray bottle
- good pinch of salt
- good pinch of pepper
- preheat the Air Fryer on 400˚ for 5 minutes
- meanwhile, prep the steaks by spraying them lightly with oil (oil brush with a little oil)
- sprinkle with salt and pepper
- when the Air Fryer is hot lay your steaks in the basket and set it for the 2 minutes BELOW your desired cook time
8 minutes for rare 135˚
10 minutes for medium-rare 140˚
12 minutes for medium 155˚
14 minutes for medium-well 165˚
- when the timer goes off use a digital thermometer to check the temperature, you can use a regular meat thermometer too, remember that the meat will continue to cook and go up by about 5˚ once you take it off the heat
- cook again until it's cooked to your desired doneness
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Air Fryer Gingerbread cookies
- Crispy Air Fryer Pork Chops
- Classic Chocolate Crinkles
- Sablé Breton Tart for the GBBO
- Dark Chocolate Homemade Truffles
- Stuffed Turkey Breast
- Air Fryer New York Strip Steaks
- Vegan Sausage Rolls
- Two in One Pecan Pumpkin Pie
- Air Fryer French Toast
- Homemade Twix Bars
- Easy Barbecued Chicken in the Oven
- Seasonal Eggnog Cake
- Baklava: a GBBO Technical Bake
- A Seasonal and Savory Stuffed Pumpkin
- Cheese Stuffed Christmas Tree Bread