This post contains affiliate links if you purchase through those links I earn a small commission.
Tired of those cutout sugar cookies that turn out like weird blobs instead of a Reindeer or Flower or a Snowman? Me too! But now that I’ve come up with these No Spread Sugar Cookies (with the PERFECT Sugar Cookie Glaze Recipe too no less) and those cookie blobs are a thing of the past.
I mean look at these CRISP edges!!
Perfect sugar cookies cutouts, baked to perfection, and topped with the Best Sugar Cookie Glaze Recipe? YOU GOT IT ALL RIGHT HERE!
And a Sugar Cookie Glaze Recipe too!
YES these No Spread Sugar Cookies ALSO come with the BEST Sugar Cookie Glaze Recipe too. And oh this combo makes sugar cookie baking SO MUCH EASIER! You’ll have so much fun whipping professional-looking cookies in no time at all.
Why Do Sugar Cookies Spread?
The main reason sugar cookies spread is that they don’t have enough flour to balance the fat. Too much butter and not enough flour. As you can see this recipe has 3:1 ratio of flour/butter.
One thing you need to make sure of is that you’re measure the flour correctly too. You don’t want to make cookies with TOO MUCH flour. So gently loosen it by running a slotted spoon through it, don’t sift it that will loosen it too much and you won’t get enough flour in the recipe.
Of course you CAN weigh the flour too. A cup of all-purpose flour comes in at 120 grams. So for this recipe you need 180 grams of flour. But just remember you can be a solid baker using measuring cup, a scale just makes your attempts more precise!
How to Make Red Glaze OR Frosting OR Icing
First of all use a good gel food coloring, the liquid stuff can add too much liquid to your recipe. And THAT may just ruin a bowl of frosting.
To make red glaze, icing, or frosting tint it pink first. Once you’ve hit a bright pink color, add your red food color until you get the color you need. No matter how much red color you add to white frosting it will be pink. Make it deep pink first then add red and you’ll get the red you’re looking for. (I learned that from a chef I know!)
How to Make Black Glaze, Frosting, or Icing
Again use Gel Food Colors, they work best and don’t thin down your recipe. Tint it BROWN first, using 1-2 drops of brown gel. THEN add 2-3 drops of black food gel. This technique will give you a nice black color. Again these tips were shared by a chef!
How to Make Bright White Frosting, Icing, Or Glaze
YES! The Chef strikes again. This time you need to add 3-4 drops of WHITE gel food coloring to your already white mix. This will lighten and brighten your icing, glaze, or frosting color to be bright white.
What You Need to Make the Best No Spread Sugar Cookies
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour+extra for rolling out
Sugar Cookie Glaze
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Gel Food Colors
- preheat oven to 350˚
- line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- cream together butter and sugars, 3-5 minutes, 3 if using a stand mixer, 5 if using a hand mixer
- add egg and vanilla, beat again
- add flour and salt, stir until the dough forms
- sprinkle the counter with some extra flour
- scrape the dough out on the counter and knead lightly
- lightly flour the top of the dough and make sure that anywhere the dough it going to touch is also floured
- roll out the dough out to about a 1/4 inch thick
- cut out with floured cookies cutters, gently place on parchment-lined baking sheet
- bake for 10-12 minutes or until set, don't brown them up!
- let them cool on the baking sheet for 15-20 minutes so they're set
- then move to a cooling rack
- make the icing by mixing all ingredients with a mixer
- color as desired, be sure to read about HOW to color red, black, and white glaze in the post, it's full of chef tips!
- use piping bags to dot or swirl color on your cookies, you can drag a toothpick to make some feathered designs
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
14Packs Food Coloring Set, 12 Color Liquid Vibrant Food Color Tasteless Food Dye for Baking, Icing, Cake Decorating, Fondant, Cooking, Slime Making DIY Supplies Kit - .35 Fl. Oz (10 ml) Bottles
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
SMARTAKE 200 Pcs Parchment Paper Baking Sheets