These Red Velvet Sugar Cookies are perfect for Valentine’s Day! All red, all gorgeous, all cut-out cookies!
The perfect sugar cookie with a hint of cocoa and the pop of red velvet will make these Red Velvet Sugar Cookies your go-to Valentine’s Day Cookie Recipe.
Red Velvet Cookies are the PERFECT Valentine’s Day Cookies
Bright red and ready to thrill. These cookies keep their gorgeous bright red color even after baking. How??
To achieve this color you need to use a FOOD COLOR GEL or PASTE. Don’t try to use a liquid food color from the store because those will let you down. The color can fade OR worse ruin your dough because it’s adding too much liquid to achieve the color you want.
In fact I recommend always using gel food colors or paste food colors. The colors are better. The gels last a long time because you only use a small amount. AND they don’t ruin your dough.
Stuff These Cookies!
Use the Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe included in the post to make sandwich cookies out of these!
These are NO SPREAD Red Velvet Cut-Out Cookies
I made these No-Spread Sugar Cookies last year and this is essentially another version of them. So you know these cookies are going to stay where you cut them. We don’t make sugar cookies that spread.
What Do You Need to Make Red Velvet Cut-Out Cookies?
- Red Food Color or Paste
- Cocoa Powder (unsweetened!)
- Corn Starch
- Cream Cheese
- Parchment Paper
- Sprinkles if desired
- Baking Sheets
- Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe included!!)
- Mixer hand OR stand will work
- Cookie Cutters!!
My OTHER Fave Red Velvet Recipes
Ready?? Let’s BAKE!
Red Velvet Sugar Cookies
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 TBSP Vanilla Extract
- Red Food Color Paste OR Gel
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- preheat the oven to 375˚
- cream the butter, cream cheese, and the sugar together in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, stopping to scrape down the bowl halfway through
- add the egg yolk, vanilla, and red food color (add enough to make a good red color), scrape the bowl as needed to mix thoroughly
- in a separate bowl mix the flour, corn starch, cocoa powder, and salt together
- add half of the dry ingredients to the bowl and stir to combine
- the add the remaining dry ingredients, mix well
- place a sheet of parchment on your counter and dust it lightly with flour, place half the dough on it, press it down, and lightly dust it with flour as well
- place a sheet of parchment over it and roll it out to about 1/4 inch thick
- cut with cookie cutters and transfer to a baking sheet
- bake in the preheated oven for 12-14 minutes or until the cookies are set but not browned
- cool 5 minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer to a baking rack to cool
- to make the cream cheese frosting: Beat all the ingredients for the frosting together until light and fluffy, the longer you beat it the fluffier it will become!
- frost and decorate your cookies as desired
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 206Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 32mgSodium 54mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 0gSugar 18gProtein 2g
This nutrition information was calculated using a computer program, results may vary.
- Crispy Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Easy Danish Pastry
- How to Make Churros
- Red Velvet Hot Cocoa Bombs Recipe
- Dampfnudel for the GBBO Bake-Along
- How to Cover Bread Dough
- Viennese Whirls Recipe with American Measurements!
- How to Make Hot Chocolate Bombs
- Stanley Classics Makes Outdoor Fun Warm and Tasty
- Lemon Drizzle Cake for the Bake-Along!
- Red Velvet Sugar Cookies
- Cinnamon Roll Waffles