Looking for a sweet fall treat to enjoy with your morning coffee? Try my Caramel Apple Doughnuts! Soft fluffy baked doughnuts, quick easy caramel icing, happy people eating them.
I know I just posted my Cinnamon Sugar Apple Baked doughnuts but I had to share these Caramel Apple Doughnuts too because WOW they’re too fab for fall! Pair them with a hot cup of coffee and your weekend morning just got 100% better.
And speaking of BAKED doughnuts, we are aren’t we, don’t you love them?? They’re so easy to make, almost like a small batch of muffins or quick bread really. Try my Sour Cream Doughnuts with Lemon Glaze if you’re looking for another tasty baked doughnut.
But the really big deal about baked doughnuts is NO HOT OIL. You just need a couple of handy doughnut pans and you’re set. And you’re house will smell GOOD after you’re done, like a batch of muffins just got baked. Not like the heavy scent of deep-fried food!
The better the apple the better the doughnut!
You can use ANY type of fresh apple for this but just remember you want an apple with a lot of flavor. So skip the mild-flavored apple and go for the something with a great taste!
Caramel Apple Doughnuts
These doughnuts taste best when eaten fresh and still slightly warm! Let them cool a bit before drizzling the caramel icing over them. But once you’ve put on the icing it’s time to enjoy them.
What I’m trying to say is the icing doesn’t keep well, so once they’re iced eat ’em up! OR let the doughnuts cool and ice right before you’re ready to enjoy these Caramel Apple Doughnuts.
Perfect baked apple doughnuts with a fresh caramel glaze make these Caramel Apple Doughnuts a tasty sweet snack.
- 1 cup buttermilk or soured milk (add a dash of vinegar)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup grated apple
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed in the cup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 TBSP milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- preheat the oven to 400˚
- lightly grease your doughnut pans
- mix the buttermilk, eggs, melted butter, apple together
- stir in sugar, set aside
- sift the flour, baking soda, and salt together
- stir the wet ingredients into the dry, mix just until incorporated
- use a cookie scoop or piping bag to divide the dough between the doughnut compartments
- bake at 400˚ for 10-12 minutes
- while the doughnuts bake make your caramel glaze, directions below
- the doughnuts are done when they've risen and they bounce back when you poke them, usually between 12-14 minutes
- once out of the oven, cool a few minutes and gently remove from the pan
- To make caramel glaze heat the butter, sugar, and milk together until it comes to a boil
- boil for one minute
- remove from heat, add vanilla and salt, stir well
- cool to let it thicken up before pouring over doughnuts
- doughnuts with glaze are best enjoyed within a few hours