If you don’t already own a doughnut pan you’re going to want to go ahead and get one so you can make these Apple Cinnamon Baked Doughnuts.
Light and fluffy tart apple doughnuts rolled in cinnamon sugar are perfect for breakfast or an afterschool snack. Serve them up fresh and hot with a minimum of work, I like that part best!
Do you own doughnut pans? They’re a lot of fun to have on hand for quick little recipes like this. Baked doughnuts are just different enough as a baked good that you feel pretty unique when you pull them off.
My kids love these Baked Sour Cream Doughnuts with Lemon Glaze! And our Caramel Apple Doughnuts are still the best baked doughnuts you’re ever going to enjoy!
Don’t get me wrong, after making fresh Homemade Doughnuts this winter, I know how good those “real” doughnuts are, but baked doughnuts are good too! And no stinky hot grease smell left in your kitchen!
Make up some Apple Cinnamon Baked Doughnuts for any fall bake sales or parties you have planned. They’re really seasonal and make for fun for fall eats! Plus they have real apple in them, so basically you’re eating fruit.
But honestly, these Apple Cinnamon Baked Doughnuts are the best way to use up that one apple lingering in the fridge. Or the one that got beat up in a lunch box and never got eaten. Those apples work perfectly in this recipe because it doesn’t matter what it looks like.
Best Apples for Apple Doughnuts or Baking in General
Flavor DOES matter though. So do yourself a solid flavor and skip using any bland apples like a red delicious. I know they’re very popular but to me, they don’t have a lot of flavor. And this doughnut gets it apple flavor solely from the apple you grate up. So flavorful apples are best.
Go for a Granny Smith which is what I used, tart and crisp. Or Honeycrisp is another super tasty apple. Also, think about Galas or Fujis, they’re full of fresh apple flavor.
LOVE APPLE EVERYTHING??
try my Apple Pie Dessert Charcuterie Board for a FUN NO-BAKE Apple Pie.
Or this EASY (YES EASY!) and Elegant Apple Tart. This one is a SHOWSTOPPER for sure!
Apple Cinnamon Baked Doughnuts
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup grated, peeled apple
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
cinnamon sugar topping
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- preheat the oven to 400˚
- lightly grease your doughnut pans
- mix the buttermilk, eggs, melted butter, apple together
- stir in sugar, set aside
- sift the flour, baking soda, and salt together
- stir the wet ingredients into the dry, mix just until incorporated
- use a cookie scoop or piping bag to divide the dough between the doughnut compartments
- bake at 400˚ for 10-12 minutes
- mix the sugar and cinnamon together, if you like more cinnamon add it now
- doughnuts are done when they've risen and they bounce back when you poke them, usually between 12-14 minutes
- once out of the oven, cool a few minutes and gently remove from the pan
- dredge them in cinnamon sugar while they're still warm
- sprinkle the last of the cinnamon sugar over them and leve them to cool on a baking rack
you will need a way to get the dough/batter into the doughnut pan, a cookie scoop can help you divide it evenly OR use a piping bag
if you like add some cinnamon to the doughnuts themselves
be sure to taste your cinnamon sugar topping, if you like more cinnamon add it before rolling your doughnuts in it
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
2 thoughts on “Apple Cinnamon Baked Doughnuts”
I made these today and they were fantastic! Thank you for posting this recipe. 🙂
YEAHHHHH! We love them too!