This post has affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you.
These Cowboy Cookies HAVE IT ALL, PLUS brown butter. You can’t go wrong with these hearty filling cookies that everyone loves to love!
Cowboy cookies are built on the base flavor nutty of brown butter. From there, add your typical cookie ingredients and then toasted coconut, oats, chocolate chips, and chopped pecans. Perfection in a cookie!
Why Make Brown Butter?
Why make brown butter for cookies? When you melt butter and let it gently brown up it makes for a nutty toasty flavor in every recipe you use it in. And in cookies, it just adds another layer of delicious flavor!
If you don’t want to make brown butter, you can just use softened butter, not browned. The flavor will be a little different, but all the other additions will carry the cookies along.
How to Make Brown Butter
It’s SO easy! I don’t know why every cookie doesn’t start with browned butter, they should! I don’t think there’s a cookie recipe out there that wouldn’t benefit from brown butter
- You need the butter called for in a recipe, a shallow pan, and a spoon or spatula
- place the pan over low heat and add the butter
- as the butter begins to melt stir the butter and keep it moving so it doesn’t get too browned or even burnt
- when it’s completely melted, lightly browned, and the solids are also browned remove from the heat
- scrape out the pan into a bowl and be sure to get all the butter out
- let it cool in the bowl
- once cool it’s ready to use, this recipe uses it in the cooled liquid form
- you can also let it solidify and use it that way
Toast the Coconut for a nuttier flavor!
Dry toast the coconut for these cookies for the BEST flavor. It takes the coconut from sweet coconut to toasty coconut perfection. It takes just a few minutes in a dry skillet to achieve the best flavor!
What do I need to Make Cowboy Cookies?
- butter-see notes about brown butter above
- brown sugar
- baking soda
- all-purpose flour
- shredded coconut
- rolled oats
- chopped pecans, plus whole pecans to top the cookies(use these candied pecans for the pecans instead for a flavor boost!)
- chocolate chips or chocolate chunks, mix them up and use a mix of semi-sweet, dark, milk or white chips
Our Other Favorite Cookie Recipes
We love ALL kinds of cookies! These Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies sound just delicious, right?
Here are more of our faves:
- Blueberry Muffin Cookies
- Pecan Pie Cookies
- Texas Sheet Cake Cookies
- Buckeye Brownies
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1/3 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup pecans, plus 14 extra whole pieces for the top of the cookies
- 1 cup chocolate chips, use what you have or prefer in these cookies
- place butter in a skillet and melt over low heat, stir to keep it from burning
- let it completely melt and when it's lightly brown and the solids are toasty remove it from the heat, scrape into a bowl and set it aside to cool
- lightly toast the coconut and set it aside to cool as well
- preheat the oven to 350°
- prep a baking sheet with parchment
- once the butter is cool and no longer warm mix it with the sugar until its well combined
- beat in the egg and vanilla, set aside
- mix the flour, soda, and salt together in a mixing bowl
- stir the dry into the wet ingredients, and mix just to combine
- add the coconut, oats, pecans, and chocolate, and stir to combine
- divide into 14 equal-sized pieces of dough
- place 7 on the prepared cookie sheet, press a pecan into the top of each cookie
- bake for 12 minutes
- remove from the oven and let rest for a minute before moving them to a cooling rack
- repeat with the remaining dough
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 225Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 31mgSodium 167mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 2gSugar 19gProtein 2g
This nutrition information was calculated using a computer program, results may vary.
- Mocha Torte
- Mallowmars Recipe
- Crock Pot Candy
- Sweet Potato Dump Cake
- Chocolate Fudge Cake
- Old Fashioned Apple Crumble
- Zucchini Brownies
- Old Fashioned Peach Crumble Recipe