This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate if you purchase through those links I earn a small commission. Thank you!
Saving money is easier than ever when you turn your leftover bread into croutons using this Air Fryer Crouton Recipe! And if you want your family to gobble up a salad every night just put homemade croutons on it.
Crispy chunks of bread have a new life when you toss them in oil and spices and throw them in the air fryer for a couple of minutes to make homemade croutons.
What Kind of Bread Makes the BEST Homemade Croutons?
The best kind of bread for this crouton recipe is the bread you have at home! No need to buy anything special or expensive to make tasty bread bites for your salad.
I used some leftover french bread because I’d made my family Air Fryer French Toast and had some bread leftover. They tasted great on a steak salad the next day.
BUT I’ve ALSO used plain white bread, whole wheat bread, even rye bread makes great croutons. I suppose you could even use bagels or English muffins if you needed to use them up. What kind of bread do you have?
What do I need to make croutons in the air fryer?
- An Air Fryer-I USE AND LOVE the Cosori 5.8L Air Fryer
- 2 cups bread chunks
- Italian Seasoning
- Garlic Powder or Granules
- Olive Oil
This is one Air Fryer recipe where you don’t need to spritz with oil. You’re tossing the bread with the oil that’s infused with the spices and herbs so no need to ALSO spritz it.
How to Cut Bread for Homemade Croutons
There’s no wrong or right way to cut bread for croutons. I would just encourage you to cut the bread into bite-sized pieces to make them easier to eat.
But you CAN cut them bigger of course. They can always be two-bite croutons. Or make them smaller if you like as well! It’s totally up to you.
Homemade Croutons in the Air Fryer
Homemade croutons from extra bread will make all your salads better!
- 2 cups cut up bread
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- preheat the Air Fryer for 5 minutes at 400° to cut cooking time
- mix the oil with the seasonings, warm briefly over low heat
- put the bread chunks in a mixing bowl
- drizzle the warmed oil over the bread
- toss to coat
- put in the preheated Air Fryer
- set the Air Fryer to 400° and toast the bread for 5 minutes shaking half way through the cook time
- after 5 minutes check the croutons and see if they're brown and toasty, if not toast again in 1 minute increments until done to your liking
- remember crouton will get crispier as they cool off
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Fresh Strawberry Bread
- Easy Sausage Frittata Recipe
- Easy Cinnamon Swirl Bread
- 2/1 Double Decker Carrot Cake Cheesecake
- Mississippi Pot Roast
- Sausage Tortellini Soup
- spinach stuffed chicken Breast
- Garlic Knots
- Fresh Strawberry Scones with Lemon Glaze
- Chicken Taco Soup
- Chicken Fajita Casserole
- Best Antipasto Salad: Teen Approved
- Easy Chicken Piccata
- Simple Peasant Bread
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Buffalo Chicken Air Fryer Egg Rolls
3 thoughts on “Homemade Croutons Made Easy in the Air Fryer”
I didn’t know how much I needed this recipe! Love that I can tweak this with whatever bread I like. Thank you!
Just made this and they’re so addictive! I can’t wait to make more for salad tomorrow
I love snacking on croutons and these are tons better than store-bought! Thanks for the great recipe!