If you’ve got leftover candy canes try this EASY recipe for Candy Cane Cookies, leftover candy canes never had it so good! If you have someone who loves peppermint AND cookies this recipe is for you.
Big soft baked peppermint sugar cookies are topped with an easy peppermint frosting and then topped with crushed-up leftover candy canes!
Are these Peppermint cookies?
YES!! These are the absolute pinnacle of peppermint cookies! We’ve got a lightly flavored peppermint cookie. Topped with a gentle peppermint-flavored frosting. And then a layer of crushed peppermint candy canes.
What do I need to make to Make these Candy Cane Cookies?
- softened butter
- granulated sugar
- all-purpose flour
- powdered sugar
- peppermint extract–do not use essential oils
- baking powder
- crushed candy canes or peppermint candies
Can I use peppermint essential oils for this candy cane cookie recipe?
NO. These cookies don’t taste good made with essential oils. Please use peppermint extract for this recipe for the best results. Essential oils, to me, do not taste good when they’re baked into cookies. The flavor is not great.
What to do with leftover candy canes
Leftover candy canes are never a terrible problem to have, right? If you have some use them to stir hot cocoa or even hot coffee. Or try these amazing recipes that use leftover candy canes!
- Peppermint Bark
- Snowman Soup
- No Bake Marshmallow Treats with Oreos
- Christmas Rice Crispy Treats
- Candy Cane Shortbread
- Peppermint Mocha Cookies
What if I don’t have leftover candy canes?
If you don’t have any leftover candy canes or the ones you do have are a sticky mess can you still make these cookies? Yes, you can! Just swap out the crushed candy canes with crushed starlight mints.
You can find starlight mints in just about any candy aisle in any store. They’re the round peppermint disk candies that are so ubiquitous at restaurants. You’ll need roughly 3 ounces of starlight mints to replace the candy canes called for in this recipe.
- 1/2 cup unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ½ cup butter
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- ½ cup crushed candy canes (about 5)
- preheat the oven to 350°
- line two baking sheets with parchment and set aside
- cream the butter and sugar until very soft and fluffy, 4-5 minutes
- Beat in eggs and extract
- in a separate bowl mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together
- stir into the wet ingredients
- divide the dough into 14 cookies, roll into balls
- place on the prepared sheets
- dip a cup in flour and press until the cookies are about 1/3 inch thick
- bake for 10 minutes or until the cookies are just set
- let the cookies rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then move to a cooling rack
- make the icing by beating together the butter and powdered sugar
- add the peppermint extract and stir until smooth
- put the candy canes in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped
- frost each cookie in a spiral and then with the crushed candy canes
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 283Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 61mgSodium 236mgCarbohydrates 37gFiber 0gSugar 24gProtein 2g
This nutrition information was calculated using a computer program, results may vary.