This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate if you purchase through those links I earn a small commission. Thank you!
Chicken Fajita Casserole is a delicious and easy weeknight meal for busy families! When you need dinner in a hurry on busy nights this easy dinner recipe will make the whole family happy and well-fed.
Everything you love about fajitas is right here in this chicken fajita casserole recipe. Tender seasoned chicken, bell peppers, and onions all baked, not fried, together in the oven. Once it’s baked through you’ll top it with cheese, sour cream, and salsa and bake it again!
Need a potluck Dish?
This is a great dish to take to a potluck, serve it with street taco-sized flour tortillas warmed in the microwave. Everyone loves chicken fajita casserole on the potluck table because it’s a filling main dish everyone loves.
Meal Prep this Chicken Fajitas Casserole
Next time you’re meal prepping try this recipe. Make this on the day before you have to go to work. Let it cool, and divide it between your meal prep containers. We use these Rubbermaid containers or these pyrex dishes for easy meals during the week. I work at home and even I like a pre-made lunch!
What do you need to make this Fajita Casserole
- boneless skinless chicken breast
- red or green bell peppers
- yellow onion
- fajita seasoning mix, something like this packet is fine
- vegetable oil or light olive oil
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese, pepper jack cheese, (Speed Hack try the pre-shredded Mexican cheese blend from Costco)
- sliced avocado for serving
- 9×13 baking dish, casserole dish OR 10-inch cast iron skillet or an oven-proof large skillet
- large bowl
Chicken for this casserole
You can use chicken breasts or chicken tenderloins in this recipe. If you want you can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs. It really depends on what cut of chicken you prefer, either one will work. I don’t think leftover chicken works here in this recipe, it might get dry during baking.
What if I don’t have Fajita Seasoning Mix?
No worries! You can sub in taco seasoning mix! Add a pinch of cumin to the taco mix if you have it to give it a little more fajita seasoning flavor.
Don’t have a packet of taco seasoning mix? make your own using pantry staples and my taco seasoning recipe. SUPER easy and very flavorful. It contains cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, Mexican oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper.
Change up the Veggies in this Fajita casserole!
Add vegetables your family likes such as mushrooms or zucchini is a great way to customize this recipe! Or use red onion if that’s what you have and like. You can add a can of green chiles or jalapenos too, just drain them and add them to the pan.
Make this recipe your recipe!
There’s nothing wrong with swapping out the vegetables, just make sure they’ll work together and your family will eat them!
What to serve with a Fajita Chicken Casserole
- The only thing missing from regular fajitas in this casserole is flour tortillas. You COULD warm some tortillas and serve them with the fajita casserole. More like traditional fajitas with a hands-off casserole wrapped in warm tortillas means an easy win on a busy weeknight!
- If you don’t want to serve the casserole with tortillas you can serve it up with canned refried beans or just canned black beans.
- Or if you have a rice cooker try this simple totally not traditional Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker. It’s super quick and easy and makes a perfect side dish.
- If you and your family are going low carb serve cauliflower rice. Or use a bag of flavored cauliflower rice for a quick flavorful side!
- A quick green salad is also a nice addition to this meal. Just toss together lettuce, green onions, and tomatoes, and add any dressing you like. OR use salsa as a dressing or make this Mango Pico de Gallo!
This fajita casserole
This chicken fajitas casserole is low-carb, if you need a keto chicken casserole this is your dish!! ! No grains mean low carb but remember peppers and onions and salsa DO have some carbs, so you need to research the carbs in those so you stay in range.
If you have leftovers
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can reheat the leftovers on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Heat the leftovers and put it on top of tortilla chips with extra cheese for fajita nachos! Or wrap the leftovers in flour tortillas.
Chicken Fajita Casserole
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast cubed
- 2 bell peppers deseeded and cut into strips, use red or green peppers
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 Tablespoons fajita seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- *optional toppings chopped cilantro, chopped jalapeños, sour cream, shredded cheese, salsa or pico de gallo for serving
- Preheat oven to 375º
- Combine chicken, peppers, onion, fajita seasoning, and vegetable oil in a bowl and toss to coat everything in the oil and seasoning
- Pour into a 9×13-inch baking dish, or 10-inch cast iron skillet, and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes
- While the chicken is baking, combine sour cream and salsa
- Remove chicken from oven and pour sour cream mixture over chicken
- Stir to combine
- Top with cheese
- Place back in the oven for 10 more minutes, until cheese is melted and beginning to look toasty
- Remove from oven and serve with sliced avocado, and your choice of optional toppings cilantro, chopped jalapeños, extra salsa, extra sour cream, or extra shredded cheese