This post contains affiliate links if you purchase through those links I earn a small commission. Thank you!
Texas Sheet Cake beats them all, it truly is the best cake. And as an added bonus it’s a cake I can make, from scratch, that’s always a hit! Plus it’s so big that taking it to a party or sending it somewhere for snacks means there’s enough to go around!
I’m pretty well known for my Texas Sheet Cake Cookies but now lookout, I’m making the cake too! And who wouldn’t? It’s kinda perfect. Super soft and tender, and coated with a chocolaty icing!
Texas Sheet Cake is the kind of cake you make straight out of the pantry too. You don’t need any special supplies, you don’t even need chocolate, just cocoa powder! So when life hands you a reason to make cake, you can make it easier!
Texas Sheet Cake is WEIRD too
I mean you BOIL water and butter together to make this thing. It kind of seems like an impossible cake recipe. But then, in the end, it’s one of the most tender cakes I’ve ever made. Or eaten.
And the icing? You pour it over the hot cake, while it’s still hot as well. Then you just leave it to see up. Omgosh the things that happen when you pour hot icing on the hot cake, we’re talking some weird almost third layer in there where the cake and icing meet. You just need to try it out for yourself and see!
If you’re like me and you want to read more about the sheet cake and its history check out this article about them. And then there is this article where it’s called a Sheath Cake, which I also found interesting.
A Cake I Can’t Screw Up!
Believe me, I have made a lot of bad cakes in my life. It’s probably my biggest disappointment as a baker. Especially as the baker behind the GBBO Bake-Along Group on Facebook. Their own leader can’t make a cake to save her life until NOW that is!
About your Texas Sheet Cake:
- you will need a sheet pan that is 18×13 inches, with sides at least an inch tall
- do NOT grease your pan, it doesn’t need it!
- I made this a Nut Free Texas Sheet Cake because I don’t like nuts in icing BUT if you like nuts, chop up 1/2 cup of pecans and toss them in the icing
- be sure to sift the powdered sugar or at least run it through a sieve to get rid of the lumps or you will have lumpy bumpy icing
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, unsalted
- 1 cup boiling water
- 5 TBSP cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup milk, scant 1/2 cup, you're making it sour by adding vinegar
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 3/4 sticks butter, 14 TABLESPOONS
- 1/2 tsp salt, if using unsalted butter
- 5 TBSP cocoa powder
- 6 TBSP milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- preheat oven to 350˚
- stir the flour, sugar, and salt together, set aside
- melt butter over medium heat, whisk in boiling water and cocoa, bring to a quick boil, just 30 seconds or so
- pour the butter mixture over the flour, stir to combine, set aside to cool a little
- meanwhile measure the milk out, add the vinegar, let it sour
- lightly beat the eggs
- mix the eggs, sour milk, vanilla, and baking soda together
- pour into the flour butter mix, stir to combine
- pour in an ungreased 18X13 pan
- bake 20 minutes
- while the cake is baking make the icing so you can pour it on the cake while it's still hot
- melt the butter over medium heat
- while it melts measure the powdered sugar, sift it or run it through a sieve to get it smooth
- when the butter is melted whisk in the salt, cocoa powder, milk and vanilla
- once blended add the powdered sugar and whisk smooth
- pour over the cake when it comes out of the oven
- cool for at least an hour before cutting it
Serving Size30 servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 261Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 44mgSodium 204mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 1gSugar 28gProtein 2g
This nutrition information was calculated using a computer program, results may vary.
- Rhubarb Cookies
- Biscoff Cookie Butter Cookies
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Cherry Dump Cake
- Old-Fashioned Iced Molasses Cookies
- Easy Candied Pecans Recipe
- Easy Strawberry Dump Cake
- BROOKIES From Scratch
- Crispy Air Fryer Cod
- Air Fryer BBQ Pork steak
- Strawberry Crunch Ice Cream Bars
- Our Favorite Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
- Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Cinnamon Glazed Pumpkin Scones with Candied Pecans
- Crispy Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Sweet Cherry Cobbler