Back to school time. A time for all mothers to send off their children, give a silent cheer and pat themselves on the back that all their little darlings lived through the last two weeks before school actually started. Yes, those weeks are tough, you will miss your kids, so you (mistake number one) want to make sure summer was awesome and plan totally cool stuff to do. But at the same time your children who have been great all summer grow horns and now fall to pieces if someone looks at them too long or sits too close. And when they completely lose it, act like wild animals you (mistake number two) assume that you are in fact the worst mother ever. You are not, summer was great they are just doing what every kid does right before school starts–making the break easier. Believe me, I’ve been doing this for 15 years.
This year my kids are making their own lunches. This is a brilliant plan because I am off the hook. “Oh didn’t have enough to eat? Oh dear, pack more tomorrow” “Didn’t care for your sandwich? Shucks! try again tomorrow.” All I have to do is provide the makings, the choices, the space and they do it themselves. And they clean up the mess. See how awesome this plan is? BRILLIANT.
I make these super simple Bubble Up Pizza Bites and keep them in the freezer for them to choose from. You know sometimes a sandwich just doesn’t cut it, but these are always a hot commodity. I don’t mind making homemade items for lunch boxes, I just don’t want to pack the lunch itself. Again it’s the 15 years of lunches, I’m tapped out.
I ran out of pepperoni today and rummaging for a new flavor I happened upon the lunch meat and the wedge of Jarlsberg Cheese and these Bubble Up Ham and Swiss Bites happened. Jarlsberg does not market itself as Swiss cheese but it is pretty dang close and it has holes, how can it NOT be Swiss? If you must must have swiss by all means go for it.
- 1 loaf bread dough ready to be used--use your own, ready to be used--use your own or buy frozen dough
- mustard, we love Guldens
- 1 cup grated Swiss, I used Jarlsberg
- 2 ounces deli slice ham, use packaged or from a deli case just make sure it's thin
- preheat the oven to 350˚
- grease a muffin pan
- divide the dough in twelve pieces
- place each piece in each muffin cup
- dab some mustard on each bread dough piece--use an amount your family will like--I used a little but my husband would prefer a LOT
- sprinkle the cheese evenly over the dough pieces
- roughly chop the ham slices and divide evenly over the cheese
- take your finger and smoosh (technical term) the cheese meat and mustard down into the dough
- give it a little pinch to kind of hold it together not too much you want them to "bubble up" a bit
- bake for 15-18 minutes until browned lightly
- freeze for easy lunch makings if desired
Pretty much delicious and a huge hit. Really though make any changes that will suit your family try yellow mustard or turkey or cheddar to make them a hit with your family. And if you haven’t tried the Bubble Pizza Bites do yourself and your kids a favor.