Macedonian Salad, a low carb vegetarian dish that makes a perfect lunch on a low carb diet. If you’ve been on a low carb diet for a while this salad offers a refreshing change!
Full of roasted eggplant, fresh vegetables, a flavorful dressing, and tasty olives, it delivers a vegetarian punch on a low carb diet. Perfect for a side salad for dinner or a lunchtime main dish, this salad offers a fresh spin on the low carb or keto diet.
Low Carb Vegetarian
It is so dang hard! I feel like the push to eat so much meat on the low carb diet feels like too much sometimes. I honestly get tired of meat some days.
I love to read old cookbooks and Molly Katzen’s Moosewood is right up there at the top of the list. I like the recipes, they’re funky old 70s hippie food, but the drawings, doodles, and assorted artwork make the book a pleasure to page through.
This recipe is based on her Macedonian Salad from that cookbook. The cookbook may be old, the recipes are delicious and some are true staples of a vegetarian lifestyle.
Pair this with my Greek Turkey Meatballs and you’ve got one delicious dinner in store.
Winter staples for Macedonian Salad
Eggplant seems to be on sale during the winter months. They’re plentiful so this is the time to grab one and make a delicious marinated salad.
I would suggest roasting the eggplant the day before you plan to eat the salad so it has time to marinate.
Maybe you could throw it in with something else you’re already having for dinner so you don’t have to heat up the oven one more time? Just a thought, I hate to spend more on electricity than I have to.
- 1 eggplant, cubed--about 1 inch squares
- water, for soaking
- 2 TBSP salt
- 4 TBSP olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules, OR one clove of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme, or fresh will work
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1/2 cup green olives
- 1/2 sweet bell pepper, diced
- 1 ripe tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup feta crumbles, *optional* tastes best WITH cheese but can be made without
- preheat the oven to 350˚
- mix the water and the salt in a large bowl
- add the eggplant to the bowl and soak for 15-20 minutes, this will help remove the bitterness of the eggplant
- drain, rinse and pat dry
- toss with a TBSP of oil
- roast on a shallow pan for 20-25 minutes
- when a knife slips easily in to the eggplant it is done
- meanwhile mix up the dressing ingredients, in a jar combine the remaining oil, vinegar, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper and parsley, and shake well
- when the eggplant is done scrape it into a bowl and pour the dressing over it
- stir to combine(resist eating now!! so good)
- refrigerate at least 4 hours overnight would be awesome too
- an hour before serving toss together with the sweet pepper, olives, and tomatoes
- let it rest for an hour before serving, toss with feta before serving (if using)