This easy to make Loaded Potato Salad has it all going on. First, it’s a salad, a perfect side for summer grilling. Second, let’s chat about all the things STUFFED into it: bacon, pickles, chives, garlic, cheese, and peas. And finally the perfect simple dressing you can whip up from pantry ingredients. I mean who could want more?
One thing I’ve noticed in my summer repertoire is the stunning LACK of summer sides. I know we eat just a lot of simple fresh fruits and vegetables in the summer. I also know I love a good rut and will make the same thing as often as I can get away with it. So I’ve challenged myself to make one new salad at least once a week. Got suggestions?? Send them my way. If you’re looking to get inspired follow me on Pinterest I’ve been pinning a lot of interesting recipes and ideas for salads. Not just side salads either I want to make main dish salads too.
Potato Salad with Bacon? YES!
This Loaded Potato Salad is stuffed full of good things. Crispy bacon, shredded cheddar, chunks of pickles, peas, and fresh chives. Lots of ingredeients but once the potaotes and bacon are cooked it’s a snap to put together. And why not make it simpiler on yourslf? Try using bacon bits instead of bacon. Buy pre-shredded cheese! Chop the pickles in the food processor.
The dressing for this loaded potato salad is super simple too. I love simple things. One tip though, make it ahead of time and give it time to come together for the best flavor. It’s delicious when first made but once it has a chance to blend it is sublime. And you don’t need anything super special that will send you to the store. Just pantry and fridge ingredients are all you need.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed, use less if using fresh
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley, use less if using fresh
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, you may want more but let the salad sit for few hours and then taste it for salt
- 2 TBSP pickle juice, start with one, add the second if you want to thin down your dressing
- 3 pounds red potatoes
- 1/2 pound thick cut bacon , use thin if that's what you have
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 3 cups shredded cheddar, use sharp or medium
- 2 TBSP fresh snipped chives
- 1 cup chopped dill pickles
- whisk mayonnaise and pickle juice together until smooth, start with just one tablespoon of pickle juice then add the next if you want a thinner dressing
- stir in the rest of the ingredients, refrigerate until ready to use
- bring a pot of salted water to a boil, meanwhile, chop the potatoes to bite size pieces, reduce heat add the potatoes and cook until a knife easily pierces them, 10-15 minutes
- preheat the oven to 350˚ arrange the bacon on a baking tray and bake for 20-30 minutes until crispy, drain on paper and pat dry, set aside to cool completely
- once the potatoes have cooked drain them and rinse in cool water, leave them to cool completely as well
- once the potatoes and bacon have cooled it's time to get mixing
- place the potatoes in a mixing bowl, add the thawed drained peas, half the shredded cheese, the chopped pickles, snipped chives, and crumble in the bacon
- pour the dressing over the salad and mix lightly until well combined
- add the rest of the cheese and mix again
- refrigerate until ready to serve
- you can mix this up without the bacon if you want to have crispier bacon, just stir it in 30 minutes prior to serving
- save some of the bacon, peas, pickles, cheese, and chives to sprinkle on the top for a garnish