This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate if you purchase through those links I earn a small commission. Thank you!
I know this sounds like a weird one for my site but hear me out, Vegan Sausage Rolls are DELICIOUS. I never thought I’d say that let alone the carnivores in this house, but’s true.
Tender flaky vegan rough puff pastry wrapped around Gimme Lean Vegan sausage makes for an awesome lunch, dinner, or snack! So tasty you won’t even miss the meat. I PROMISE!
GBBO Vegan Sausage Rolls
This isn’t a normal recipe for me but you know what? If it’s a GBBO recipe then it’s a normal recipe for me!
Quarter Finals Week on The Great British Baking Show
What a wild week! I won’t share spoilers beyond the bakes for the week because I’d hate to spoil it for anyone else. But this week was the Quarter Finals and the theme was Free From Week.
All the bakes had to be free from some ingredients. Those were Dairy-Free, Meat Products Free (Vegan), and Gluten-Free.
The Bakes For Free From Week were:
- The Signature Bake: Dairy Free Ice Cream Sandwiches (CRUEL!)
- The Technical Bake: Vegan Sausage Rolls
- The Showstopper: Gluten Free Celebration Cake
We went for the Vegan Sausage Rolls because they felt the most interesting and doable. Vegan Rough Puff Pastry ANYONE?? With flaky layers?? Can it be done?? YES, IT CAN! If you’re looking for more comforting vegetarian food try this Vegetarian Cottage Pie!
How we Changed up the Vegan Sausage Rolls.
So first of all Prue’s Recipe called for Vegan Block. Which I couldn’t find, in fact, our vegan butter selection was sparse, we had one brand. So that’s what we used. It worked fine.
Vegan Block, upon reading about it, is just a brand name for Vegan Butter. Apparently, according to their own website, the BEST replacement for butter for vegans. Anyway, I didn’t have it and couldn’t find it. Earth Balance Butter ‘Sticks’ worked FINE for me.
I didn’t feel like fussing with making vegan sausage meat. So I pulled a Lizzie and used store-bought. I feel like if that’s what a baker in the Quarter Finals for the GBBO makes for her Vegan Sister then it works for me.
I purchased Light Life Gimme Lean Plant-Based Sausage for the filling on these sausage rolls. It was surprisingly tasty! I added some sauteed onions. And some panko bread crumbs to make sure the sausage wasn’t TOO juicy. I didn’t know if it would be oily so I figured the panko would help soak up any juices and keep my Vegan Rough Puff Pastry from having the dreaded soggy bottom.
I also kicked the chutney to the curb. I feel like it was put in to fill time. If you feel like making it the recipe is up on the official GBBO site.
And I didn’t use the dijon mustard on the puff pastry before adding the sausage meat. I didn’t have it and didn’t buy it so I skipped it. You can use it if you like, just brush the pastry where the filling will go with dijon and then add the filling.
What do I need to Make Vegan Sausage Rolls?
- Vegan Rough Puff Pastry (recipe is in the card no worries!) made with Earth Balance “butter”
- Vegan Sausage (14 ounces or so)
- panko bread crumbs or other bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- baking sheets
- parchment paper
- *dijon mustard *optional
- a scale*optional* use it to divide your sausage evenly
- 3/4 cup vegan butter, divided (8 1/2 Tablespoons should be frozen)
- 2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- pinch of salt
- 9 TBSP cold water
- 14 ounces vegan sausage
- 2 TBSP panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic (use more if you like!)
- 2 TBSP almond milk
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- if you haven't already done it, freeze 8 1/2 TBSP of the vegan butter, it should be very cold when you use it
- mix the flour and the salt together
- cube up the unfrozen portion of the vegan butter
- drop it in the flour mix and work it until it's incorporated in the flour and the mix looks like bread crumbs
- add enough of the water for the dough to come together, you may need a little more than called for
- once the dough comes together roll it out on a lightly floured counter to roughly 12x6 inches with a short side facing you
- grate the frozen butter over the bottom 2/3 of the dough, then fold the top down 1/2 way, then the bottom up 1/2 way, this is called the letter fold
- turn the dough 90˚ and roll it out the same size as before
- repeat step 7
- then cover the dough tightly and chill for 20 minutes
- roll the dough out to 12x6, letter fold it again, rotate, letter fold
- rest 20 minutes in the fridge then repeat step 11
- once this final roll out is done the dough is ready to use, chill covered tightly until you want to use it
- when you're ready to bake the sausage rolls saute the onion lightly for 2-3 minutes over medium heat, add the garlic and saute another 30 seconds then remove from the heat
- mix the onions and garlic with the bread crumbs and the sausage until well combined
- divide the sausage evenly into 8 pieces, use a scale if you have, form the sausage into cylinders 4 inches long, and chill until ready to use
- preheat the oven to 400˚ with convection or 425˚ without
- to at least 12x16, trim it up to have flat sides
- use a tape measure or ruler, or another flat edge to make 8 4x6 inch rectangles
- with the long side facing you cut 3-4 slashes on the right side of the dough rectangles as in the picture, this will be the side you fold over the sausage
- line a baking sheet with parchment paper put one rectangle on the baking sheet
- fold the slashed side up and over the sausage, use a little water to seal it, and crimp with a fork
- repeat with the remaining rectangles
- mix the milk and agave together and brush over the sausage rolls as a glaze
- bake for 20-30 minutes or until the pastry is puffed, browned, and crispy all over
- Chicken Fajita Casserole
- Best Antipasto Salad: Teen Approved
- Easy Chicken Piccata
- Simple Peasant Bread
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Buffalo Chicken Air Fryer Egg Rolls
- Classic Chicken And Dumplings
- Air Fryer Cajun Shrimp
- Classic Bourbon Pecan Pie
- Air Fryer Crab Rangoon
- Vol Au Vent Pastry Shells
- Bacon Wrapped Pickles in the AIr Fryer
- Old Fashioned Chocolate No Bakes
- Air Fryer Pumpkin Seeds
- Stuffed Banana Peppers
- Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Shrimp