An Easy Salisbury Steak Recipe to add to your repertoire of dinner-party-worthy meals. But hey make it ANY time for a tasty dinner the whole family will love with plenty of leftovers for lunches too!
This Salisbury steak recipe is my homemade version of an old-fashioned tv dinner classic! Start with a lean ground beef mixture full of dried onions, garlic, salt, and Worcestershire sauce. Then add bread crumbs and eggs to make it soft and tender. Cooked in patties and cover with a semi-homemade gravy mix. DELISH!
How to make this Classic Comfort Food Semi-Homemade!
I love a recipe that includes hacks to make it easier, don’t you? Here are a few to make this recipe come together quickly!
You can swap out the seasonings and use a packet of Lipton onion soup mix in the meat mixture.
Storebought beef broth or stock is perfect to make the gravy. No need to use anything fancy like bone broth. Even bouillon works! Any of those will make a rich gravy, just look out for salt content!
Use storebought gravy OR a gravy mix from the store. Onion gravy OR beef gravy will both work for this recipe! Just 2-3 cups of premade gravy for all the gravy-making ingredients and you should be set
Ingredients for Salisbury Steaks with gravy
- light olive oil or vegetable oil
- lean ground beef OR sub in some ground turkey
- dried onion flakes
- garlic powder
- panko bread crumbs
- Worcestershire sauce
- beef broth, beef stock, bone broth, or beef bouillon cube
- mushrooms (optional)
A Few Ingredient Notes:
This recipe calls for Panko, a Japanese Bread Crumb. Feel free to sub in cracker crumbs or bread crumbs or even extra dried bread cubes crushed up. You want the crumbs to lighten up the meat patty so pretty much anything will work.
Mushrooms in the gravy carry a meaty taste through the gravy with their deep umami flavor. If you have anyone who doesn’t like mushrooms you can leave them out. The recipe will be fine without them.
You can add a sprinkle of something like Trader Joe’s Mushroom Powder for the flavor without the pieces. It works well to add extra flavor without chunks of mushrooms for a rich mushroom gravy no one will suspect has mushrooms in it!
Tools for making Salsibury steaks
- large bowl
- deep large skillet (see recommended tools below for photo and link)
- metal spatula
What to serve with homemade tasty beef patties? Ohhhh good question! I love to serve it with mashed potatoes for that gravy goodness. If you’re not having mashed potatoes a good bread for mopping up gravy works too.
And our favorite vegetable with Salisbury steak is green beans. I think that’s what used to be in the TV dinners version too. Yep, just checked it definitely came with green beans!
Try these Air Fryer Green Beans OR the Brussels Sprouts for an easy side dish!
Looking for ANOTHER old-fashioned recipe??
I know you are! You need to try my Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf! If you think you don’t like meatloaf think again!!
To store leftovers
Store leftovers in an airtight container. The hamburger steak and gravy can be in the same container. It’s easy to reheat when they’re stored together.
Next time you’re looking for an easy dinner idea using ground beef remember this homemade Salisbury steak recipe! The first time you make the recipe it may seem like a lot of work but you’ll realize its not that much. And the next time you make it will be easy because you’ve already done it once!
Easy Homemade Salisbury Steak Recipe
An Easy Salisbury Steak Recipe to add to your repertoire of dinner-party worthy meals. But hey make it ANY time for a tasty dinner with plenty of leftovers!
- 1 TBSP light olive oil or vegetable cooking oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 2 TBSP onion flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
Salisbury Steak Gravy
- 1 TBSP butter
- 8-10 button mushrooms, sliced or chopped finely depending on what you like
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1-2 TBSP dried onions (to taste)
- 3 TBSP corn starch
- Preheat a deep skillet or medium heat, and add oil
- while it heats up mix the beef with the spices, then add bread crumbs, eggs, and Worcestershire sauce
- mix until well combined but not packed tightly together
- make 12 small patties, you can make oval patties if you like, and brown the patties in the frying pan on both sides
- once browned remove to a plate
- melt the butter in the same pan, add the mushrooms to the frying pan and saute lightly and scrape up the browned bits
- add the broth, and 3/4 cup of water, and begin to bring to a boil
- mix the cornstarch with the remaining water
- mix a small amount of hot broth with the cornstarch mix
- stir all into the gravy mix, whisking smooth
- bring to a boil, add the onion flake
- taste for salt and pepper add as needed
- put the Salisbury steak in the gravy, cover and bake for 25-30 minutes
- remove to lid bake five more minutes
if you're using a gravy mix, use enough for 2 cups of gravy and cut it with one cup of water
add an extra Tablespoon of cornstarch as mixed in above
you're adding water to cut the saltiness of the gravy mix
if you don't mind the saltiness of the gravy by all means use 3 cups of gravy
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Fresh Strawberry Bread
- Easy Sausage Frittata Recipe
- Easy Cinnamon Swirl Bread
- 2/1 Double Decker Carrot Cake Cheesecake
- Mississippi Pot Roast
- Sausage Tortellini Soup
- spinach stuffed chicken Breast
- Garlic Knots
- Fresh Strawberry Scones with Lemon Glaze
- Chicken Taco Soup
- Chicken Fajita Casserole
- Best Antipasto Salad: Teen Approved
- Easy Chicken Piccata
- Simple Peasant Bread
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Buffalo Chicken Air Fryer Egg Rolls
2 thoughts on “Easy Salisbury Steak Recipe”
This is a classic dish that everyone devours. So simple too. Love the button mushrooms in the streak gravy. I’ve never added in in gravy until now. This is a keeper!