What’s as sad as egg whites that won’t whip? Mayonnaise that curdles? Bread that doesn’t rise? Or a cake that sags? Runny Lemon Curd!
YEP! When your triple citrus, hand stirred, homegrown egg curd doesn’t set up. UGH!
This is actually a photo of my Rhubarb Curd that IS set up, that thickness is what you’re going for.
I made a gorgeous batch of Lemon Grapefruit Orange Curd last week for Palmer Food Swap and it flopped. We’re talking liquid-like splashy action when I jiggled the bowl. When I tasted it, it was like drinking water.
SUCH disappointment! My curd was a huge fat flop on my hands AND no swap item to take to my own food swap. I panicked but knew there HAD to be a way to fix it.
I quickly looked up how to fix it and found out that if I cooked the curd again I could save it. BUT I also read up on all the ways to make THE BEST curd and incorporated them in this post.
How to Fix Runny Lemon Curd
- Turns out MOST curds fail because they don’t get cooked long enough to thicken the egg yolks
- You CAN reheat it!
- Put it back in a heavy duty saucepan and put over medium heat
- STIR STIR STIR with a whisk OR a wooden spoon
- use a thermometor, you want to get it to 170˚
- sometimes you need to keep it there or right in that area, at between 170˚-175˚ for several minutes and even up to 30 minutes
- you must keep stirring or whisking, not boiling it for the entire time it’s on the heat
- check for doneness with the “back of the spoon” method, dip the back of a spoon in the curd, swip your finger through it, if it’s done the area won’t back fill it will stay clean
- Once it passes the back of the spoon test pour it through a sieve into a clean bowl, let it cool for couple minutes then cover with plastic wrap and chill
- Don’t let it set in the pan you were cooking it in, that could continue to heat the curd and give you scrambled eggs
- Quick and Easy Pizookie
- Rhubarb Cookies
- Biscoff Cookie Butter Cookies
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Cherry Dump Cake
- Old-Fashioned Iced Molasses Cookies
- Easy Candied Pecans Recipe
- Crispy Chicken Salad
- Easy Strawberry Dump Cake
- BROOKIES From Scratch
- Crispy Air Fryer Cod
- Air Fryer BBQ Pork steak
- Strawberry Crunch Ice Cream Bars
- Our Favorite Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
- Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Cinnamon Glazed Pumpkin Scones with Candied Pecans