Easy Make Ahead Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
When you need to have a birthday cake but it’s too hot to bake anything try this amazing Make Ahead Ice Cream Sandwich Cake. It’s so tasty and refreshing you won’t even miss the mess of a birthday cake.
No oven, no problem!
We had a birthday around here this week and just to spite me our oven went on the blitz. It’s actually the plug for the oven that is weird so we’re not currently using it while we decide to a)fix it or b)buy the gas stove now or c)crawl under a rock and make the whole remodel thing go away.
I wholeheartedly am rooting for option c, that’s probably not going to happen so I’m guessing we’re going to have to fix it for now. But the dilemma of not having an oven, during a remodel (of course), making party planning interesting, I have a hard time buying a cake and I’m pretty sure no one would ever let me live down “the time I bought our youngest kid a store bought cake”
Ice Cream Sandwiches to the Rescue!
Good thing I remembered an ice cream cake from an old Taste of Home magazine. Dig, dig, dig and there it is, the recipe I’d remembered from oh about 10 years ago. It was almost perfect too, only a few changes needed!
I changed up the ingredients to suit the birthday boy, subbing caramel for the chocolate syrup. I made a quick list, dropped kids off to school and quickly whipped up this easy E A S Y make ahead freezer cake. It doesn’t look like much but it is really good, like cake and ice cream in one.
If you’re looking for a different No-Bake Cake check out my Oreo Ice Cream Cake! It’s also an ice cream based “cake” and needs ZERO oven time. So whether it’s too hot to bake OR you’re remodeling OR your oven is broken, you can still have a great dessert!
- 14-16 ice cream sandwiches, enough to fill your 9x13 with 2 layers
- 12 ounces caramel ice cream topping
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts if desired
- whipped cream, for serving
- unwrap enough ice cream sandwiches to make a layer in the bottom of a 9x13--cut as needed
- pour half the caramel sauce over the sandwiches
- sprinkle with the peanuts
- unwrap and place a second layer of ice cream sandwiches
- cover with the rest of the syrup
- freeze for 20 minutes then cover tightly and store in the freezer up to 3 days before serving
- if you want to make it and store it longer wrap it in plastic wrap first then foil to keep it from absorbing odors
Super easy make ahead cake that doesn’t require an oven. Whew!