This post contains affiliate links if you purchase through those links I earn a small commission. Thank you!
If you’re looking to make a good batch of Churros this post will walk you through How to Make Churros at home. With my EASY churros recipe and a few good tips you’ll be cooking them up in no time at all.
Churros, popular street food in Spain and Latin America, are fried dough cooked to perfection so they’re crispy on the outside and soft and tender on the inside. They can be sprinkled with sugar, cinnamon sugar, or left plain.
Often times churros are also eaten as breakfast and served with a thick chocolate you can dip into or drink. Yes, please, I want that!
Besides a chocolate sauce, you can also serve these with various fruit sauces. My Strawberry Puree or Raspberry Sauce are perfect for dipping fresh churros in! You could also try my 5 Minute No-Fail Salted Caramel Sauce.
Batter Week on the GBBO!
This is a bake for the GBBO Bake-Along. We’re baking our way through “Collection 4” on Netflix and it’s Batter Week! Churros are the Showstopper Bake.
- Signature Bake: Yorkshire Pudding
- Technical Bake: Lacey Pancakes
- Showstopper: Spanish Churros-They asked for fancy Churros but we’re ONLY asking for churros, get as fancy or plain as you like!
Easy Churro Recipe
As simple and tasty as this easy churros recipe is they do take a little practice. No worries though because I’ve spent the last week making and experimenting with churros and I have some good tips!
Tips for Making the BEST Churros
- Watch your oil temperature you want it to be ABOUT 350˚-360˚
- If the oil is TOO hot reduce the heat just a little and slide the pan off the burner to allow it to cool down, monitor the temperature and resume cooking when it hits right at 350-360
- If it’s too cool gradually increase the heat and monitor the temperature so that it staying between 350-360 what you don’t want is for it to hit 360˚ and keep getting hotter you’ll burn churros and make your house stink at the same time
- This is essentially a Choux Dough not really a batter so when you understand that, the way it’s made makes sense
- DO bring the water to a boil before adding the flour
- ALSO let it cool down before adding the egg, if you slam the eggs in while it’s hot they’ll cook right then and there and they won’t rise a little when cooked in hot oil later
- Use scissors or a knife to cut the dough when you’re piping, choux dough doesn’t play like frosting
- ANY 1/2 inch or larger star-ish shaped piping nozzle will work for Churros, I used a Wilton 4B and it’s about 1/2 inch tip
- Usually, the dough is piped right into the hot oil, you CAN do that if you want random length churros
- OR you can pipe them onto a sheet of parchment paper, cut the paper apart, and set the paper with the dough on it in the hot oil, the paper will separate from the dough and you can pull it out of the hot oil with tongs
What Do I Need to Make Churros at Home?
You don’t need a WHOLE lot of special equipment to make churros at home but you do need some regular baking and cooking gear such as:
- A heavy saucepan
- Wooden Spoon
- Heavy Duty Piping Bag
- A Large Star Tip-preferably about 3/4 inch to 1 inch it doesn’t even HAVE to be a star tip it CAN be a drop flower tip–if you have a smaller star tip you will just cook churros for a shorter time because they will be thinner
- Parchment Paper
- A dutch oven OR a deep fat fryer
- A clip-on thermometer that gets to at least 400˚
Who’s Ready to Make Churros at HOME?!? LET’S GO!
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cut in pieces
- 1 cup 2 TBSP sugar, divided
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- chocolate or fruit sauce for serving
- oil for frying
- begin to heat the oil in a heavy dutch oven, it should be about 2 inches deep, attach a thermometer and monitor the temperature of the oil as you make the dough, you're aiming for about 350˚
- bring the water, butter, 2 TBSP sugar, salt, to a boil in a heavy saucepan
- lower the heat and stir in the cup of flour
- keep stirring with the wooden spoon, scraping the bottom of the pan, until the dough is in a ball
- remove from the heat and cool for AT LEAST 5 minutes
- then beat the egg in a small bowl
- pour in 1/3 of the egg and stir to combine
- repeat two more times
- beat the finished dough with the wooden spoon to make sure it's soft and well combined
- load into a piping bag fitted with a star tip
- Once your oil is 350˚ it's time to start cooking
- line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- pipe your churros onto the parchment paper, cut apart the paper so you can slide 1-2 churros into the hot oil at a time, the parchment paper will float away and you can pull it out with tongs and discard it
- ALTERNATIVELY, you can pipe directly into the hot oil and not pipe onto the parchment paper, this works for straight churros, not for the heart-shaped churros
- cook for 4-6 minutes until browned and cooked through, turning over halfway through, remove to a baking rack over a baking sheet OR a plate with paper towels for draining
- you'll probably need to cook one churro at first and take it out and cut it open to make sure it's cooked through this will help you know how long to cook them and if the heat is too high or low
- adjust the temperature of the oil if needed
- mix the remaining sugar and cinnamon together, sprinkle over the hot churros as they come out of the oil
- continue frying the churros until the dough is gone
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Aigostar Ken Deep Fryer - 3L Electric Deep Fat Fryers with Removable Basket | Electric Oil Fryers 1800W Timer and Temperature Control
Le Creuset Enameled Cast Iron Signature Round Wide Dutch Oven, 6.75 qt., Cerise
OXO Good Grips Wooden Corner Spoon & Scraper
Polder Candy/Jelly/Deep Fry Thermometer Stainless Steel with Pot Clip
Cuisinart 719-16 Chef's Classic Stainless Saucepan with Cover, 1 1/2 Quart - Silver
Amount Per Serving Calories 97Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 22mgSodium 83mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 2g
This nutrition information was calculated using a computer program, results may vary.