Recently a reader asked if the mix for Pumpkin Spice Lattes could be made ahead and kept in the fridge. Well that’s a darn good question, could it be made ahead to make the minimal amount of work even less? I wondered about how LONG that mix would last though so I decided to fool around with making a freezable version of the pumpkin and spices and not worry about the longevity of a fridge stored mix.
I thought about it for a while before setting to work on the project, my original idea was to just freeze blobs of pumpkin mix but that was even way back before my reader asked about it. I really wanted a way to use up the left over pumpkin after scooping a Tablespoon out of the can and I thought a splat of pumpkin would be easy to make and freeze up. But then after the question was asked, I realized I could mix everything up and freeze it that way. Or could I?
I mixed up a one cup batch as my tester batch. Once I got the sugar and vanilla in, well wow, it was runny. So I thought I’d freeze it in ice cube trays, HA, it wouldn’t freeze, due to the sugar and vanilla I believe. But in a side note our ice cube tray now makes scented ice cubes. Not one to be foiled, I tried again and put the mix in a freezer bag and set it to freeze. It doesn’t freeze solid but turns into a malleable goo that you can scoop up and plop in a pan of warming milk. Making Pumpkin Spice Lattes is now even easier.
Did you happen to see the post I wrote on how much money, calories and time I saved making my own expensive coffees at home?
Make Ahead Pumpkin Spice Latte Mix
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl with a whisk, making sure you get the spices really well so they don't clump up
- carefully pour into a freezer Ziploc bag and seal it up
- put it in the freezer and let it freeze until ready to use
- to use: warm ⅓ cup of milk gently in a sauce pan
- add 2 generous Tablespoons of Pumpkin Spice Latte mix and stir to combine
- keep heating until the milk is nice and hot but not boiling
- when heated through add to a cup of coffee
- stir it in and taste it add a dash more milk if needed