This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate if you purchase through those links I earn a small commission. Thank you!
These are the CUTEST Valentine’s Day Cookies. Or are they a Cookie box filled with sprinkles? Or maybe you could even call them Piñata Cookies because they’re filled with goodies. Whatever you call them, your family will LOVE THEM.
Easy no-spread sugar cookies are cut out in heart shapes and stacked together with frosting. Then they’re filled with whatever little treat you feel like putting in there make these sugar cookie boxes a surefire hit with kids!
Do you HAVE to use my No-Spread sugar cookie recipe?
NO! You can use ANY sugar cookie recipe you like to make. The ONLY thing you need to be sure of is that the cookies don’t spread.
Because you’re stacking 3 cookies on top of each they will need to be the same size. Cookies that spread when you bake them are not the kind of sugar cookies you want or need for cookie boxes.
You can ALSO try using my Red Velvet Sugar Cookie recipe, they’d be SO PRETTY!
You’re going to need several heart-shaped cookies cutter for this recipe. You can use whatever hearts you have at home. You’ll need at least two different sizes to make these cookie boxes.
OR grab this pack of heart cookie cutters from Amazon. They’ll have all the hearts you need to make piñata cookies all day long.
What to put in Piñata Cookies
For these cookies, I filled them with sprinkles because they were SO pretty. But you can fill them with just about any little treats you have on hand or pick up in the store.
- Mini M&Ms
- Chocolate Chips
- White Chocolate Chips
- Heath Bar Crumbles
- Mini Conversation Hearts
Just look for anything MINI and it should fit. Of course, you can scale UP your cookies and add bigger goodies to your piñata cookies.
What DO you need to make a Piñata Cookie Box
- Sugar Cookie Dough your favorite or my recipe-it’s included down below for you!
- rolling pin
- Baking sheets
- Cooling racks
- Tub of frosting OR your favorite recipe
- Piping Bag
- Heart Shaped Cookie Cutters
- Sprinkles OR filling of your choice
Valentine Piñata Cookies
These fun surprise-filled Piñata Cookies are like a Valentine Cookie and gift in one!
- 1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup light brown suagr
- 1/2 white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Items for Assembly
- 1 can frosting
- fillings of your choice, sprinkles or mini candies
- food dye if you want to tint your frosting
- preheat the oven to 350°
- mix the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy
- beat in the vanilla and the egg
- mix the salt and the flour and mix into the butter mixture, don't over mix
- lightly flour the counter and roll the dough out
- use cookie cutters to cut out 18 hearts
- leave 12 whole and cut a smaller heart out of the remaining 6 cookies
- transfer to a baking sheet
- bake for 10-12 minutes
- cool on a baking sheet 10-15 minutes to allow the cookies to set up
- tint the frosting if desired
- fill a piping bag with some of the frosting
- outline 6 of the hearts with frosting
- stack the six cutout hearts on top of them to form 6 boxes
- add frosting to the box
- fill with sprinkles or whatever you're using inside as filling, fill it as full as you can if you want it to spill out when they take a bite
- pipe around the top edge of the cut-out cookie and lay a whole heart cookie on top of each cookie box
- decorate the top of the cookies however you like, more frosting or sprinkles is fun
- •If using salted butter leave the salt out
- •You will have smaller heart cookies leftover after making the 8 boxes, you can make smaller cookie boxes or just snack on the cookies!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 312Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 72mgSodium 122mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 1gSugar 7gProtein 5g
This nutrition information was calculated using a computer program, results may vary.
- Fresh Strawberry Bread
- Easy Sausage Frittata Recipe
- Easy Cinnamon Swirl Bread
- 2/1 Double Decker Carrot Cake Cheesecake
- Mississippi Pot Roast
- Sausage Tortellini Soup
- spinach stuffed chicken Breast
- Garlic Knots
- Fresh Strawberry Scones with Lemon Glaze
- Chicken Taco Soup
- Chicken Fajita Casserole
- Best Antipasto Salad: Teen Approved
- Easy Chicken Piccata
- Simple Peasant Bread
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Buffalo Chicken Air Fryer Egg Rolls
3 thoughts on “Surprise Valentine’s Day Piñata Cookies”
Love these cookies. They’re so cute and absolutely the best
These turned out so pretty! I love all the colors — the sprinkles are the best part!
These are adorable! I made them for my daughter’s birthday and she loved them!