How to Make Wool Mittens from an Old Wool Sweater
I love to upcycle old wool sweaters to make new things! I made myself a knitting bag about 8 years ago and have carried back and forth to school for all the handwork classes I volunteered in and it’s still going strong. There’s something about old wool sweaters that just makes me buy them up at the thrift stores. Sometimes I buy them for my kids to wear, other times I buy them to make stuff. Here’s a quick tutorial on How to Make Wool Mittens from an Old Wool Sweater. These mittens are perfect for gift giving and can easily be made in under 45 minutes. Now everyone, off to the thrift stores immediately to find old wool sweaters!
How to Make Wool Mittens from an Old Wool Sweater:
You Will Need:
- old wool sweater
- sewing machine
- wool roving
- felting needle
- felting pad or sponge
- wash and dry the wool sweater several times to shrink it down as far as it will go
- lay out flat
- center hand on sleeve and trace trace around each hand on each sleeve with chalk
- cut out, trim any odd spots
- using the sewing machine sew the mitten shut
- when you come to the junction of the thumb and hand, sew until you’re ready to turn and head up the thumb, stop sewing when the needle is down in the fabric, lift the presser foot, turn the mitten until you’re positioned to begin sewing again, lower presser foot and continue sewing
- trim any extra threads
- no need to turn the mittens right side out, at this point the mittens are finished
- you can use the wool roving and felting needle to decorate over the seam of the mitten
See how easy it is to make wool mittens from an old wool sweater? Do you make things with old sweaters? What do you make?
3 thoughts on “How to Make Wool Mittens from an Old Wool Sweater”
What a fun idea! I’ll have to keep my eye out for good deals on wool sweaters!
YES! So fun and easy! Just make sure to wash them a lot in hot water and dry them in the dryer. Have fun!!