Rhubarb Dream Bars
Rhubarb Dream Bars, no dream just real life in the land of abundant rhubarb. If you’re looking for a way to use up that rhubarb out of your garden these use 4 WHOLE cups of rhubarb. And Rhubarb Dream Bars with their shortbread crust, and that top layer with just a delicate bit of a crust that gives way to a gooey layer of almost custard are quite a delight to eat, or give, or eat. Whatever you do just make Rhubarb Dream Bars and bring me some, ok?
Use It Or Lose It
Last week a friend came over looked at my rhubarb patch and said “you better use that rhubarb up!” and the funny thing was I HAD been using it! I’d been cranking out crisps, rhubarb soda, Crock Pot Cobblers, Rhubarb Bars, Strawberry Rhubarb Bars, and Rhubarb Juice, yet it still looked like I hadn’t touched it. So in a fit of USE IT OR LOSE I decide to USE IT. I went at my patch with a vengeance and after going through a 1/4 of it I had 10 quarts in the freezer for winter use and a nice big batch of these dream bars. While I was at it, I took out all the under stalks and cleaned it all up and it looks so sad and barren but never mind my freezer is bulging full of rhubarb. And I have so much more to go! We are going to be eating so much rhubarb this winter.
I did leave several stalks on each plant though so it does have a way to regenerate and come back nice and healthy for another harvest this summer, what-am-I-even-saying?!? Oh well, I had someone suggest I bring to the new Palmer Food Swap and I might just go for it.
Rhubarb Dream Bars
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 pinches salt omit if using salted butter
- 1 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 4 eggs eggs, beaten
- 4 cups rhubarb
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- preheat oven to 350˚
- mix powdered sugar, flour and salt, cut in butter until the mixture look like course crumbs
- press in the bottom of a 9x13 pan, bake for 15 minutes
- while crust bakes make filling
- mix flour, sugar, salt and eggs until smooth, fold in the rhubarb
- when the crust comes out stir the rhubarb one more time and pour over the crust, bake for another 35-40 minutes
- check with a toothpick for doneness--if it comes out clean it's done, if it has crumbs on it keep baking and check every 5 minutes until toothpick comes out clean
- *if using optional topping bake for 15 minutes and then sprinkle on, continue baking until done
If you’re interested in MORE rhubarb information please check out my How to Freeze Rhubarb and Other Rhubarb Secrets post. In it, I try to answer all the questions I get about rhubarb!