Mexi Tots and Smokey Chipotle Dipping Sauce
Remember Mexi Bites? Crispy little tater tot things, seasoned up and served at Taco Bell? Yep, I do! And I wanted some the other day, the only problem is Taco Bell quit making them! I knew I could make them too and I did!
I created the taste of Mexi Bites in a about 3 swift seconds and rounded out our meal in the process too. Have you ever heard kids cheering with their mouths full? These will make them cheer, guaranteed.
Sometimes I amaze myself when I pull off something like this, saving a meal from being lame and create something delicious at the same time. Just so we’re painfully clear sometimes I completely disappoint myself too, like when I tried to make pudding pops, or thought I should place a frozen homemade pizza on the oven rack, completely forgetting it was RAW dough.
Take your tater tots to the next level.
- 1 1/2 TBSP taco seasoning
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 10 cups tater tots
- 1/2 chipotle pepper , in adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, I use the kind straight out of the jar
- 1 TBSP snipped cilantro
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 TBSP adobo sauce, leave out if you don't LOVE spicy foods
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, divided
- pre-heat the oven
- pour the taco seasoning, paprika and black pepper in a gallon bag, shake to combine
- add the tater tots in a gallon plastic bag
- close the bag and shake well to coat the tots
- place the tots on a baking sheet in a single layer
- bake 30 minutes or until crispy and crunchy but not burned
- to make the Chipotle Dressing
- whirl the peppers, adobo sauce, the roasted red peppers, cilantro and lemon juice in a food processor until smooth
- add half the mayonnaise, whirl to combine
- scrape into a bowl and stir the rest of the mayonnaise in until smooth