Buttermilk Blue Cheese Dressing
Looking for a creamy tangy salad dressing recipe? If you like blue cheese (or bleu cheese!) you’ll love this easy to prepare salad dressing.
My father loved blue cheese dressing, I was the only one in our family who loved it too. And I still do. When I started this weight loss journey I knew I wanted to avoid pre made dressings and even the packets of dressing mix when I was enjoying fresh salads. The chemical cocktail in the mixes and bottled dressings tend to give me whopping headache (msg probably) and they’re expensive too! I also knew I could do better and I have.
I make a buttermilk ranch style dressing that is just so easy to make and delicious to eat that my kids eat salad first before main course with nary a blink of an eye. I never mind when they take seconds on salads either because I know they’re eating primarily fresh whole foods and ingredients. Truth be told I only mind when I don’t get a second helping too.
Making your own salad dressing is extremely easy to do, seriously it is, when you try it and it becomes second hand to you, you’ll wonder why you ever bought that bottled stuff to begin with. You will need a blender for this blue cheese dressing but for making any other dressings you simply need a jar that seals tightly so you can shake it really well. I have and love the Tupperware Salad Dressing Shaker (affiliate link, if you click on it and buy a salad dressing shaker I make a little cash, a LITTLE cash!) mine looks a lot like that one except it’s the mid 90s version. Tupperware has a lifetime guarantee so it’s worth the investment BUT a good tight sealing jar will serve you well too, no need to buy anything expensive. I would recommend making salad dressing in the morning so it has time to let the flavors mingle, but 10-15 minutes of mingling will work in a pinch.
- 3 ounces blue cheese divided
- 3 TBSP buttermilk, more if you like a thinner dressing
- 3 TBSP sour cream
- 2 TBSP mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar, -any will work this one just blends seamlessly in the dressing
- place half of the blue cheese in the jar of a blender
- add the buttermilk, sour cream, mayonnaise and vinegar
- put the top on the blender jar-sure you're thinking I'm silly to tell you this but it's from experience
- blend until smooth
- pour out the dressing scraping out all the last bits
- gently stir in the last of the blue cheese
- taste for salt and pepper add as needed
- store in jar in the refrigerator until ready to use
- If you prefer you can add ALL the blue cheese to the blender and make a super smooth dressing but I really prefer it with big chunks of cheese.
See? EASY. TASTY. QUICK. I could go on and on but I won’t because you just need to try it for yourself.