Make your OWN Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte! Tired of paying 4-5 bucks for a cup of Pumpkin Spice Latte or missing out on that treat because you just can’t afford it right now? I was too!
In this easy to make version, YOU control the coffee and all the other ingredients. Want it vegan?-heck yes, coconut milk or almond milk will rock your drink.
Want it low sugar? You can do that. Want low calorie with all the taste? It can happen. The ONLY thing you don’t have to do is pay a lot for a sweet and spicy cup of joe.
Make Your Own Pumpkin Spice Latte at Home!
I was sort of shamed into figuring out how to make these at home. My oldest son has been in town for a while and last week he said something like “did you get some coffee mom? No? Why not? FIVE BUCKS FOR COFFEE?? Do you really pay that?” I laughed out loud and admitted sometimes I did, in fact, pay that much for coffee. He scoffed at me.
My own child thought I was silly and then I heard what he was hearing “I willingly pay 5 dollars for a cup of coffee that costs less than a dollar to make.” And I’m sure having the radio on and hearing about furloughed workers and people all across the country going without pay made my silly once a week coffee treat seem even more outlandish. So I set out to make my own Pumpkin Spice 5 dollar Latte and discovered it was easy. Let me show you how.
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte--low cost and low calorie with REAL ingredients. You'll save time, money and your health making this seasonal coffee at home!
- 1/3 cup milk, use skim or almond or coconut whatever you want
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 TBSP pumpkin puree
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 1 pinch of allspice
- 1 pinch of ginger
- 1 cup of brewed coffee
- whipped cream, for topping if desired
- in a small sauce pan mix the milk, brown sugar, vanilla, pumpkin and the spices together
- gently heat them until warm and stir them occasionally--don't boil oh dear I did that and yuck--just warm it up
- make a cup of coffee or pour one
- once the coffee is ready and the milk is mixed and warm it's time to mix together
- pour the milk into the coffee and stir gently
- before adding the whipped cream take a sip add more sugar or milk if it's not quite to your liking
- once you tasted it and amended it then top with whipped cream if desired and a pinch of nutmeg
Let’s do some Pumpkin Spice Latte Math ok?
- calories in a 16 ounce take out Pumpkin Spice Latte made with 2% milk and whipped cream = 380 calories
- calories in homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte made with 2% milk and whipped cream= 105 calories
Annnnd price-wise the numbers are
- price of 16-ounce Pumpkin Spice Latte in Alaska is 4.50
- price of a Homemade Pumpkin Spice latte is .70 cents
Is it a REAL latte no, the milk is not steamed it’s warmed over a stove burner. Is it an espresso, no but you could do it like that if you wanted to. Did it cost part of my retirement and make me feel ashamed that I spend that kind of money on a hot drink, no again, but for a small fee I will call you on the phone and make you feel bad and still save you cash in the long run.
Now, remember your calories and your price will vary depending on what milk you use, if you add whipped cream and if you add more sugar. I definitely recommend using my measurements as a starting point and tweaking it to your taste adding more milk, sugar, spices or coffee to suit you.
If you like Pumpkin Spice Lattes and the like try out my OTHER Pumpkin Recipes!