Not having an oven is getting closer and closer for us as we prepare to finish this remodel, can I get a cheer? A hell yeah? A quiet whimper to dear god just finish this project and move on already? Don’t worry I feel all three of those feelings simultaneously pretty much all the time these days. So lets talk about food instead because I’m all about the redirect now that summer break is almost over, “don’t hit your brother, DO __________ right now!” falls out of my mouth these days more times than I like to admit.
We’re going to be crock potting fools for the next few weeks, After this remodel I am well and truly a crock pot/slow cooker make ahead meal fan. I love to drop dinner in at 9 am and know that all I have to do is make a salad or rice or put bread out and dinner is done. Seriously it is so nice to know I have no worries when it comes to dinner time, I can worry about alllll kinds of other things now. Like for example is the violin being practiced enough or when can I go back to bed or how much does gas cost these days?
One of our favorite crock pot meals is meatloaf, my kids really really love it and because they do, I DO. They eat it happily and that makes me happy because not one person complains during meal time or picks something apart at meal time. Peaceful meal means good times. I am not preaching to only make kids food they like or dear no if that were the case my kids would subsist solely on mac and cheese, ice cream, pizza and root beer.
Crock Pot Meat Loaf Make Ahead Meal
- 4 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion
- 4 dill pickles
- 2 medium carrots
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups bread or cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- To Assemble: break up the ground beef in a mixing bowl
- in a food processor chop the pickles, onions and carrots until finely processed
- break the eggs into the bowl of the food processor add the worcestershire sauce and process for 30 seconds
- pour the chopped veggies on the meat and mix lightly
- add the bread crumbs and slat and pepper mix well but do so lightly
- form into three round loaves that will fit in your crock pot
- place on a cookie sheet and freeze until solid
- place each one in a ziploc freezer bag and press out as much air as possible
- freeze until ready to use
- TO COOK:
- you will need one frozen meatloaf
- 1/2 cup of ketchup or chili sauce
- 2 large sweet potatoes or 4 white potatoes--more or less for you family
- place a frozen meatloaf in the bottom of your crock pot
- cover and cook on high 3-4 hours
- cover the top with ketchup or chili sauce
- chop potatoes and place around the meat loaf salt and pepper them
- cover and cook another 1 1/2 to 2 hours
- test the potatoes for doneness, once they are done you can turn off the crock pot or set to warm and it will be ready to eat whenever you are
This is our favorite crock pot meal so far, number 2 would be the Crock Pot Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches, yum.