Yes! Dinner CAN be fun and tasty at the same time. Try making this fresh Falafel Recipe and you’ll see what I mean.
Everyone loves fresh falafel because they’re dip-able or you can stuff them in sandwiches. Or DO BOTH!
Tender canned garbanzos, a few common spices, and a little time make this falafel recipe a dish you’ll want to make again and again.
How to Eat Fresh Falafel
You can enjoy them any way you see fit. Stuff them in pita bread with all your favorite toppings. This is my favorite way to enjoy them. I put out pita bread, sour cream with dill and mint, sliced veggies, pickles if I have them, and usually some sort of greens.
Set out all your favorite sauces and have a dipping party. You can use anything you have in your fridge or make something up. There isn’t really a wrong dipping sauce here.
Sauces for Dipping Your Falafel:
- tzatziki sauce, that delicious traditional sauce is perfect for dipping
- sour cream with dill
- yogurt with dill
- hummus, although that seems a little cannibalistic to me (HA!)
- your favorite salad dressing
Is this a Traditional Falafel Recipe?
From everything I’ve read, no. A more traditional falafel is made with soaked garbanzos, not cooked garbanzos. But I never remember to soak the beans overnight so I just use canned garbanzo beans.
If you want to make a traditional falafel recipe simply soak dried beans overnight AT LEAST and then drain them. From there you follow my directions for falafel. No cooking of the soaked beans is required!
You can serve these with ANY flatbread you happen to find in your grocery stores like these pita bread or Naan on Amazon. OR better yet try making your own Pita or Naan Bread with my EASY to follow recipes! Either way works for me, seriously.
A few notes on this Easy Falafel Recipe:
- Use fresh cumin seed for best results, the fresh flavor burst you get when you crush them between two spoons before adding them to the mix is worth the wait!
- You can make these into patties if you prefer, either way, works for this recipe!
- you can ALSO use a deep fat fryer, I looked through them on Amazon, all the kinds I’d used before we’re unavailable so I linked up to one I would LIKE to have but honestly can’t justify having one more appliance…
This easy falafel recipe made with canned garbanzos makes dinner fun and healthy!
- 3 cups drained canned garbanzo beans
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 TBSP chopped fresh parsley, you can sub in dried parsley
- 2 tsp cumin seed, crush these between for the full fresh cumin effect (I wrote about it above!)
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 TBSP minced garlic, add more to taste
- 1 tsp salt, taste and add more as desired, remember canned beans are already salted
- 2 TBSP flour, you may need more depending on how well drained your beans are
- oil for frying
- Put everything in the bowl of a food processor except the oil
- pulse to combine
- put the mixture in a big bowl
- see if it will hold together as balls if the mixture is too loose add a little more flour
- once it will hold together make all the falafel and lay them on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- put them in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to firm up
- put 1 inch of oil in a deep frying pan and heat to 350˚, use a candy thermometer to check this!
- once the oil is heated fry the falafel in 2-3 batches keeping them farm enough apart to make turning them over easier
- turn carefully to brown them on both sides
- remove to rack or plate covered with absorbent paper towels to let them drain
- serve as desired
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
McCormick Gourmet Organic Cumin Seed, 1.37 oz
Aigostar Ken Deep Fryer - 3L Electric Deep Fat Fryers with Removable Basket | Electric Oil Fryers 1800W Timer and Temperature Control
SMARTAKE 200 Pcs Parchment Paper Baking Sheets
Cuisinart DFP-14BCNY 14-Cup Food Processor, Brushed Stainless Steel - Silver
Cooks Standard Classic Stainless Steel Deep Lid 5 Quart/11-Inch Saute Pan, 5 Quart, Silver
Amount Per Serving Calories 96Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 7mgSodium 287mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 5g
This nutrition information was calculated using a computer program, results may vary.