This post contains affiliate links if you purchase through those links I earn a small commission. Thank you!
These Mini Apple Pies are the best way to eat apple pie, in my opinion anyway. What’s not to love? They’re portable, taste amazing and they’re cute as heck. Perfect in a lunch box or for a snack!
If you have a lot of apples on hand, hello U-Pick farms, you might need a new apple pie recipe. Plus they work so perfectly in lunch boxes, that you’ll want to make them again and again.
Baked Mini Apple Pies
These little pies are baked in the oven which means no hot deep fat frying is needed! That makes them fast and easy to make as well as tasty.
To make these Mini Apple Hand Pies I’ve used a favorite recipe for the flakiest crust. But it’s not SO flaky that it won’t hold up to being a hand pie. Hold it in one hand and take a bite, it can take it! It won’t crumble or fall apart in your hand. BUT it’s not tough either, don’t worry about that.
Want to make them faster?
If you want to make them all from scratch I’ve got you covered in the recipe card. However, I totally GET that all from scratch might not be YOUR favorite way to bake so I have you covered too!
- Use a package of premade pie crusts from the refrigerator section of the grocery store. No crusts to make meas you’re making pies quickly! Find more information in the *notes sections* of the recipe card
- Choose a can of apple pie filling for instead of fresh apples for this pie. It will speed up the process so much! I give you directions in the *notes section* of the recipe card.
- OR you can choose ANY homemade jam, jelly or pie filling you want to use
If you like these Mini Apple Pies check out my other pie recipes:
- Jam Hand Pies
- THE BEST PIE CRUST-ALL BUTTER RECIPE
- Pecan Pie No Corn Syrup
- No Butter Pie Crust
- Mini Pecan Pies
Pie Crust Ingredients
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 ounces butter
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 1/2 tsp vinegar
- 2 cups chopped apples, roughly two apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 TBPS water
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1 TBSP water, or try milk
- 1 TBSP Sugar
Hand Pie Crust Directions
- combine dry ingredients in the bowl of a food processor, pulse to combine
- cut the butter in chunks and add to the food processor, pulse to chop until it looks like bread crumbs
- combine water and vinegar, pour half of it in the food processor, pulse, add half of the remaining, pulse 4-5 times, if it's not coming together as a ball add remaining water and pulse until it comes together, don't run it past this point or you'll overwork the dough
- wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until 30 minutes before you want to roll the dough
Apple Hand Pie Filling
- add the chopped apples to a small saucepan, add the butter and water, cook over medium heat stirring until the apples start to soften
- add the sugar and spices, cook for 1-2 minutes more, you want the apples mostly cooked through but not completely mushy
Make Mini Apple Pies
- preheat oven to 400˚
- sprinkle flour on a clean surface, roll the dough to about 1/4 inch thick, cut out 32 2 1/2 circles, gather leftovers, and roll out if needed
- place 16 circles on a baking sheet, top with apple mixture
- apply water to the edges of the circle, place another circle on top, press with a fork to seal
- mix the egg and the water together for an egg wash, brush on the pies, sprinkle each with a small pinch of sugar
- bake for 12-14 minutes until the pastry is browned and pies look done
- remove to a cooling rack and cool until ready to eat
You can SKIP making the dough and use two pre-made pie crusts from the refrigerator section of the market. Just roll them out to about 14 inches in diameter on a floured surface and cut out 16 cirlces from EACH pie crust
You can SKIP making the pie filling and BUY a can of pie filling if you want. I would suggest you cut up the apples in the filling to make them small enough to fit in the pies. Place 1-2 TBSPs in the center of the dough circle and seal as called for above. Baking time is just about the same!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 147Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 32mgSodium 144mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 1gSugar 6gProtein 2g
- Air Fryer Gingerbread cookies
- Crispy Air Fryer Pork Chops
- Classic Chocolate Crinkles
- Sablé Breton Tart for the GBBO
- Dark Chocolate Homemade Truffles
- Stuffed Turkey Breast
- Air Fryer New York Strip Steaks
- Vegan Sausage Rolls
- Two in One Pecan Pumpkin Pie
- Air Fryer French Toast
- Homemade Twix Bars
- Easy Barbecued Chicken in the Oven
- Seasonal Eggnog Cake
- Baklava: a GBBO Technical Bake
- A Seasonal and Savory Stuffed Pumpkin
- Cheese Stuffed Christmas Tree Bread