This post has affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you.
These Mini Apple Pies are the best way to eat apple pie, in my opinion anyway. What’s not to love? They’re portable, taste amazing and they’re cute as heck. Perfect in a lunch box or for a snack!
If you have a lot of apples on hand, hello U-Pick farms, you might need a new apple pie recipe. Plus they work so perfectly in lunch boxes, that you’ll want to make them again and again.
Baked Mini Apple Pies
These little pies are baked in the oven which means no hot deep-fat frying is needed! That makes them fast and easy to make as well as tasty.
To make these Mini Apple Hand Pies I’ve used a favorite recipe for the flakiest crust. But it’s not SO flaky that it won’t hold up to being a hand pie. Hold it in one hand and take a bite, it can take it! It won’t crumble or fall apart in your hand. BUT it’s not tough either, don’t worry about that.
What do I need to make mini apple pies?
- cup flour
- kosher salt, regular salt will work!
- butter, cold
- cold water
- apples,peeled, cored and chopped
- brown sugar
- water or try milk
Want to make them faster?
If you want to make them all from scratch I’ve got you covered in the recipe card. However, I totally GET that all from scratch might not be YOUR favorite way to bake so I have you covered too!
- Use a package of premade pie crusts from the refrigerator section of the grocery store. No crusts to make meas you’re making pies quickly! Find more information in the *notes sections* of the recipe card
- Choose a can of apple pie filling for instead of fresh apples for this pie. It will speed up the process so much! I give you directions in the *notes section* of the recipe card.
- OR you can choose ANY homemade jam, jelly or pie filling you want to use
If you like these little Apple Pies, check out my other pie recipes:
These little jam hand pies are fun to make with kids and everyone loves them. Our ALL TIME FAVORITE Pecan Pie (no corn syrup!!) is a MUST for Thanksgiving. And of course these mini pecan pies (also no corn syrup!) are fun to make AND eat!!
To store mini apple pies
These can be stored well-covered at room temperature for 24 hours. After that I find moving fruit desserts to the fridge is the best bet.
Mini Apple Pies
Pie Crust Ingredients
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 ounces butter
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 1/2 tsp vinegar
- 2 cups apples roughly two apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 TBSP water
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1 TBSP water or try milk
- 1 TBSP Sugar
- to make the pie crust: combine dry ingredients in the bowl of a food processor, pulse to combine
- cut the butter in chunks and add to the food processor, pulse to chop until it looks like bread crumbs
- combine water and vinegar, pour half of it in the food processor, pulse, add half of the remaining, pulse 4-5 times, if it’s not coming together as a ball add remaining water and pulse until it comes together, don’t run it past this point or you’ll overwork the dough
- wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until 30 minutes before you want to roll the dough
- Apple Hand Pie Filling: add the chopped apples to a small saucepan, add the butter and water, cook over medium heat stirring until the apples start to soften
- add the sugar and spices, cook for 1-2 minutes more, you want the apples mostly cooked through but not completely mushy
- to make Mini Apple Pies: preheat oven to 400˚
- sprinkle flour on a clean surface, roll the dough to about 1/4 inch thick, cut out 32 2 1/2 circles, gather leftovers, and roll out if needed
- place 16 circles on a baking sheet, top with apple mixture
- apply water to the edges of the circle, place another circle on top, press with a fork to seal
- mix the egg and the water together for an egg wash, brush on the pies, sprinkle each with a small pinch of sugar
- bake for 12-14 minutes until the pastry is browned and pies look done
- remove to a cooling rack and cool until ready to eat
- Quick and Easy Cowboy Stew
- Sausage Rolls
- Green Bean Casserole
- Seasonal Pumpkin Star bread
- Easy Baked Cornbread Stuffing
- Biscuit Topped Beef Pot Pie
- Pumpkin Muffins with Streusel
- Apple Cinnamon Rolls (with Pecans!)