Mini Apple Pies
Thes Mini Apple Pies are the best way to eat apple pie, in my opinion anyway. What’s not to love? They’re portable, taste amazing and they’re cute as heck. If you have a lot of apples on hand, hello U-Pick farms, you might want to try another fun apple pie recipe. Plus they work so perfectly in lunch boxes, that you’ll want to make them again and again. I can’t even with these mini apple pies right now!
Mini Apple Hand Pies
These are non-traditional hand pies. Usually, a hand pie refers to a circle of dough, folded over filling, sweet OR savory, and baked or fried. These are baked but I suppose you could try filling them? I don’t know how that would work but someone should try it and let me know!
Mini Apple Hand Pies Are Sometimes Called Apple Pocket Pies
To make these Mini Apple Hand Pies I’ve used a favorite recipe for the flakiest crust. But it’s not SO flaky that it won’t hold up to being a hand pie. Hold it in one hand and take a bite, it can take it! It won’t crumble or fall apart in your hand. BUT it’s not tough either, don’t worry about that. And just because they’re called Apple Pocket Pies I don’t think I’d put them in my pocket, you’d probably have a pocket full of pie crumbs.
Want to make them faster?
You could skip making these with fresh apples if you wanted to speed up the process. Try making the dough and chilling it and using a can of apple pie filling. Of course, you can’t control the sugar or the seasonings with canned pie filling but it’s faster and probably just as tasty. Or use your own homemade pie filling, that would make a fabulous little pie. Even jams or fruit butters work in hand pies, so try apple butter, strawberry jam, or my personal favorite jam in the world, raspberry jam.
Mini Apple Pies
Hand Pie Crust Ingredients
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 ounces butter
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar red wine works too
- 2 cups chopped apples roughly two apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 TBPS water
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1 TBSP water or try milk
- 1 TBSP Sugar
Hand Pie Crust Directions
- combine dry ingredients in the bowl of a food processor, pulse to combine
- cut butter in chunks and add to the food processor, pulse to chop until it looks like bread crumbs
- combine water and vinegar, pour half of it in the food processor, pulse, add half of the remaining, pulse 4-5 times, if it's not coming together as a ball add remaining water and pulse until it comes togteher, don't run it past this point or you'll over work the dough
- wrap in plastic wrap and refriegerate until 30 minutes before you want to roll the dough
Apple Hand Pie Filling
- add the chopped apples to a small sauce pan, add the butter and water, cook over medium heat stirring until the apples start to soften
- add the sugar and spices, cook for 1-2 minutes more, you want the apples mostly cooked through but not completley mushy
Mini Apple Hand Pies
- preheat oven to 400˚
- sprinkle flour on a clean surface, roll the dough to about 1/4 inch thick, cut out 32 2 1/2 circles, gather leftovers and roll out if needed
- place 16 circles on a baking sheet, top with apple mixture
- apply water to edges of the circle, place another circle on top, press with a fork to seal
- mix the egg and the water together for an egg wash, brush on the pies, sprinkle each with a small pinch of sugar
- bake for 12-14 mintues until pastry is browned and pies look done
- remove to a cooling rack and cool until ready to eat
If you like these Mini Apple Pies check out my recipe for