DIY Portable Travel Safe-Traveling with Cash
When you’re traveling, you need to carry cash and whether it’s regular currency or foreign currency it needs to be kept safe. On our last trip, a big one to Europe, my kids were given some cash to spend. I needed a way to make sure it stayed safe. At the last minute, I came up with this DIY Portable Travel Safe-traveling with cash has never been easier!
What’s the Best Way to Take Cash to Europe?
Of course, I didn’t recognize that we needed a way to keep cash safe until it was literally 12 hours from departure and I wasn’t going to go running out to find some sort of portable safe. I needed something I could put a little money in and stash it away in my suitcase. Nothing that screamed “there’s cash in here!” but that it was just something reasonable any traveler would have.
Money Belt or No Money Belt?
I am not a paranoid person, but I’d read plenty of horror stories about folks getting ripped off by pickpockets, hotel room thefts, and apartment break-ins, so I wanted to be safe without going overboard. I started searching the house for something I stash some cash in that wouldn’t immediately scream “HIDDEN MONEY!”.
I was feeling pretty defeated by this search until I saw the new deodorant sitting right next to my old deodorant. Perfect! Who would look in a deodorant container? I mean who would right? It just seems like you’ve packed an extra for the trip except for the “new one” is the old one holding a little spending money.
Confused? Don’t be; I’ll explain everything.
DIY Portable Travel Safe
- buy a new deodorant precisely like your old deodorant–doesn’t matter what kind as long as it’s a solid style deodorant, not roll-on, and it has a top cap under the lid
- finish the old deodorant up as much as possible which is why it might be a good thing to think about this project before you go on your next trip
- remove the last bits of the old deodorant and wipe out the container
- slide in your cash
- cover the cash with the little topper lid that fits under the cap
- voila your DIY Portable Travel Safe is done
I wouldn’t recommend flying with money stashed in your DIY Portable Travel Safe though, make sure you carry it safely with you, or it may get stolen from your luggage. There was one flight, out of ten, that I didn’t take the money out and carry it with me, and it made it through just fine, but I’m sure I wouldn’t do that on a regular basis.